Peugeot 505 Turbo

blowfly505

Tadpole
Can anyone advise as to the parts required to convert a 505 Exec to a turbo model as was released in the USA?

Interpreting your question strictly, you'd probably need to start with a Left Hand Drive...

Interpreting your question strictly, you'd probably need to start with a Left Hand Drive...

You would also need to find an N9T engine for which parts are NLA.
Maybe import some R21 Turbo bits and bolt to your present engine.
Graham

Thank you for your advice. Sounds like I started too late on this project by at least 20 years. Best wishes Blowfly505

Thank you for your advice. Sounds like I started too late on this project by at least 20 years. Best wishes Blowfly505

Were 505 petrol turbos offered prior to 1989? If so you could wait another 8 years, import one and register it left hand drive.

Were 505 petrol turbos offered prior to 1989? If so you could wait another 8 years, import one and register it left hand drive.

Yes they were. first as the N9t (1984?), then with the N9te which included an intercooler. Later there was the N9tea which I think put out a little more power.

You can find out more at www.505turbo.com

I have a 1986 N9te. It has the front ARB and crossmember which is needed to fit the longer sump. Complete with matching gearbox, computers, intercooler, exhaust manifold and engine pipe.

It has been my intention to shoehorn this into a 504 I have, but for the right price, I could be willing to sell you the whole setup. I've been too busy with my 404 project (Binky), and am now wondering whether I (and my finances) are really up to another major restoration/rebuild at the moment.

Binky

I am interested in 505 Turbo you mentioned.

I presume it is a complete car ?

If so please advise a price and location of the car.

With thanks

Blowfly505

What has this got to do with importing?

Needs to be 30 years old to drive on the road with LHD?
The only turbo 505 in this country (import from the US) that I know of is sitting without engine and box under a tree.
Graham

The reason they never released them here was because the exhaust maifold impeeded on the steering column in a right hand drive car. A clever exhaust manifold wil solve that though. plus some heat shielding. Me, I'm just going in a SR from a Nissan.

The reason they never released them here was because the exhaust maifold impeeded on the steering column in a right hand drive car. A clever exhaust manifold wil solve that though. plus some heat shielding. Me, I'm just going in a SR from a Nissan.

Also the brake booster doesn't clear, don't think the column is too much of a problem without power steering at least, but then most cars have power steering these days.
Graham

I'm not sure, but I thought the 30 year rule no longer existed and the date of 1 Jan 1990 is it.

Sorry, yes, not technically related to importing but a lhd has to be over 30 yrs (here in SA) before it can be registered.

Graham Wallis

Thank you for your advice.

R21 presume a Renault?

Can you advise the bits I need please or am I asking too much in this forum.

Best wishes,

Blowfly505

Yes the R21 is Renault. The engines are the same, but the Renaults have a turbo edition of it. I would suggest asking in the Renault section. Also you should make use of google and do some searching, your probably no getting answers because no body knows.

Peugeot 505 turbo

hello,

american peugeot owner here. i read your post with interest. not that familiar with peugeot's offerings in australia, i didn't know the turbo wasn't offered there.

in the us, the turbo had particular body & suspension bits which vary by year. see 505turbo.com and peugeot505.info for more details. i have no doubt you can get some of those parts from australian 505s, through mixing and matching parts from different models. a few bits are special and would have to be imported. the main problem is going to be the engine.

the engine that was in the turbo was not a turbocharged version of any other peugeot engine, it's its own thing...you can't simply put the turbo bits onto a douvrin or an xn1/xn6, for example. so unless you plan to engineer your own turbo setup for an australian peugeot 505 engine, you are looking at importing an engine or a car from the us or europe.

here, one rarely sees a complete working turbo engine for sale...cars are available though, most go for around US$1k - US$3k, with trashed ones going for less and immaculate ones going for more.

so you would be looking at buying a car, stripping it at the place of purchase and shipping the special bits or shipping the whole car to strip in oz and dealing with importation headaches. then, as others have pointed out, you'd have to re-engineer some of the bits to work with a RHD car.

i'm not even going to mention that parts for turbo engines are NLA or very hard to come by (oops, i just did :) ). if you crack your head or something like that, your car may be out of action for quite a while until you find a replacement to import or you can fabricate something.

so an interesting project, but a difficult one!

please drop by 505turbo.com any time, we are a small but friendly group!

andre