Peugeot 505 GTI - V6 conversion

Another day, another bracket.

I wasn't comfortable with the idler pulley between the crankshaft and power steering pump being bolted directly into an aluminium boss on the timing chain cover. So I made a bracket to go between two bosses, spreading the load and eliminating the risk of any flex that might cause a failure of the aluminium.

As a trade off, the pulley is a bit lower, which reduces the wrap around the pulleys, but I think it's a worthy compromise.

I'll let the pictures tell the story!
ps idler bracket 1.jpg

ps idler bracket 2.jpg

ps idler bracket 3.jpg

ps idler bracket 4.jpg

ps idler bracket 5.jpg

ps idler bracket 6.jpg

That idler was part of the original XM/605 belt tensioner. It's not a very large bearing and I've replaced it more than once on my XM, so I'd be thinking about finding something more robust. Leftover ES9 timing belt idler say?

That idler was part of the original XM/605 belt tensioner. It's not a very large bearing and I've replaced it more than once on my XM, so I'd be thinking about finding something more robust. Leftover ES9 timing belt idler say?
Thanks David, that's good advice. You're absolutely right, that is the original 605 tensioner repurposed. I'll see if it's possible to replace the bearing in it, but I will look at other options.

More brackets! This one is no doubt going to be the most complex though. It incorporates an idler pulley and a tensioner pulley, as well as a method of tensioning.

I didn't take any progress shots, but it's fairly self-explanatory how it all comes together. The tensioner arrangement allows about 60mm 'swing' at the centre of the tensioner pulley, which should give me a fair bit of flexibility with belt lengths.

The more I look at it, the more I think I should cut some holes in it to make it lighter. But then I think if I'm that worried about weight, I should probably just pass on that morning coffee scroll instead.

I'll look at it in daylight before I sandblast and paint it, in case I want to make any more last minute adjustments!

serpentine tensioner draft.jpg

Apologies for the gap in progress, I've been away for work for a couple of weeks, so it's time to get back into it!

I've made a couple of tweaks to the tensioner arrangement, and I think I'm happy with it now. I've blasted and painted it, and it doesn't look too bad. Belts are on order.
tensioner finished.jpg

Today I went on a shopping spree to my local bolt place, industrial supplier and exhaust shop.

I bought a longer bolt for the distributor drive, so the threads have the same engagement length as the original camshaft bolt:
extended camshaft bolt.jpg

And I bought some M7 nuts and bolts to turn into new exhaust studs...
exhaust studs to be.jpg

And some mandrel bends to transform into an inlet manifold....
inlet manifold kit.jpg

And last night I got out to the shed and started the flanges for the inlet manifold. The first one will bolt to the back of the factory manifold, and the second to the factory throttle body.

Unfortunately my mill is out of commission at the moment, so the workaround is a bit laborious:
I need a mill.jpg

Easy bit done, onto the hard bit:
circle work.jpg

Final result is a bit rough, but the pipes will actually go into this hole, and when welded up will be perfectly neat:
inlet manifold flange rough.jpg

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!