Peugeot 504 VIN and Engine Numbers

johnts

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hello
New owner of a 1972 504 automatic carburettor sedan, so new to the forum.
Have a numbers matching car with 13-digit VIN.
Appreciate any advice on how I can decode the VIN and engine number.
Thank you
John

504 A01 = Sedan gasoline manual
504 A02 = Sedan Injection manual
504 A11 = Sedan carburetor manual
504 A12 = Sedan TI manual
504 A13 = Sedan carburetor Automatic
504 A14 = Sedan TI Automatic
504 A90 = Sedan Diesel manual
504 A91 = Sedan gasoline manual
504 A93 = Sedan gasoline Automatic
504 AC0 = Sedan Diesel Manual
504 AC5 = Sedan Diesel Automatic
504 B02 = Cabriolet Injection Manual (1.8 L)
504 B12 = Cabriolet Injection Manual (2 L)
504 B31 = Cabriolet V6
504 C02 = Coupé Injection Manual (1.8 L)
504 C12 = Coupé Injection Manual (2L)
504 C14 = Coupé Injection Automatic (2L)
504 D11 = Station Wagon gasoline manual
504 D13 = Station Wagon gasoline Automatic
504 D90 = Station Wagon Diesel manual
504 D91 = Station Wagon gasoline manual
504 D93 = Station Wagon gasoline Automatic
504 DC0 = Station Wagon Diesel Manual
504 DC2 = Station Wagon Diesel Automatic
504 DC5 = Station Wagon Diesel Automatic

1234567 = sequential serial number, all 504 types combined.

Last edited:
I made some updates below but the one above is not wrong, just incomplete.

504 A01 = Sedan gasoline manual (1.8 L)
504 A02 = Sedan Injection manual (1.8 L)
504 A11 = Sedan carburetor manual (2 L)
504 A12 = Sedan Injection/TI manual (2 L)
504 A13 = Sedan carburetor Automatic (2 L)
504 A14 = Sedan Injection/TI Automatic (2 L)
504 A90 = Sedan Diesel manual
504 A91 = Sedan gasoline manual (USA/CDN)
504 A93 = Sedan gasoline Automatic (USA/CDN)
504 AC0 = Sedan Diesel Manual
504 AC5 = Sedan Diesel Automatic
504 B02 = Cabriolet Injection Manual (1.8 L)
504 B12 = Cabriolet Injection Manual (2 L)
504 B31 = Cabriolet V6 (carb.)
504 C02 = Coupé Injection Manual (1.8 L)
504 C12 = Coupé Injection Manual (2 L)
504 C14 = Coupé Injection Automatic (2 L)
504 C31 = Coupé V6 (carb.)
504 D11 = Station Wagon gasoline manual
504 D13 = Station Wagon gasoline Automatic
504 D90 = Station Wagon Diesel manual (USA/CDN)
504 D91 = Station Wagon gasoline manual (USA/CDN)
504 D93 = Station Wagon gasoline Automatic (USA/CDN)
504 DC0 = Station Wagon Diesel Manual
504 DC2 = Station Wagon Diesel Automatic
504 DC5 = Station Wagon Diesel Automatic

The engine number is located on a boss on the engine, immediately above the passenger side engine mount. It's probably hard to see due to the build up of grease, etc. Unless the engine has been swapped, this number should be the same as the number on the plate, which you've no doubt seen, behind the driver side strut tower. The engine number is just a serial number so there is nothing to decode.

And there is usually an "X" at the beginning and end. These are not part of the number, but sometimes they are written down as such by both the mechanic doing the roadworthy, and consequently the Transport Department in whichever state you are in.

Thank you!
I have a 504 A13.
Engine number has an X at the end and is the same on the boss and the plate.
Beginning to appreciate the brilliant design work in this car.....

The design amazed me when I first got one and a few things were pointed out to me. For instance, the entire engine, gearbox, torque tube and diff are supported by only two average-sized engine mounts, and two matchbox-sized diff mounts. The gearbox and torque tube just hang off these. And there are only three bell housing bolts !

One thing to keep in mind : The two lower bolts which hold the torque tube to the bell housing need to have locktite on them. After being in place for years, they tended to loosen and that connection would open up enough that the spline on the front end of the prop shaft (inside the torque tube) would chew out where it connects with the gearbox. The two top ones give no real problem. And it's an easy fix. Those two bolts have 8 mm allen heads.

And the 504 was the first car in the world with outer rear disc brakes. Jaguar had made inboard ones (near their diff) but they didn't work too well. But the 504 ones worked so well that they needed very little design change before they came out in 505s.....for another ten years !

They had a few rust problems but usually with the Australian rust proofing. And the drivers seats backs needed strengthening in 1972 models. The backs broke after a few years, but they were the wonderful complete layback, camping body "Peugeot Hilton" seats.
A bit of welding necessary.

And I believe 504s won the South Africa car rally five years running, against Mercedes who had helicopter parts backup. Nyah nyah. :D

Last edited:
I also have a 1972 Auto sedan

Attachments

• Serial number.jpg
    Serial number.jpg
    710.5 KB · Views: 72
And from the pics we've seen from time to time, it's a very nice 1972 sedan as well.

The design amazed me when I first got one and a few things were pointed out to me. For instance, the entire engine, gearbox, torque tube and diff are supported by only two average-sized engine mounts, and two matchbox-sized diff mounts. The gearbox and torque tube just hang off these. And there are only three bell housing bolts !

One thing to keep in mind : The two lower bolts which hold the torque tube to the bell housing need to have locktite on them. After being in place for years, they tended to loosen and that connection would open up enough that the spline on the front end of the prop shaft (inside the torque tube) would chew out where it connects with the gearbox. The two top ones give no real problem. And it's an easy fix. Those two bolts have 8 mm allen heads.

And the 504 was the first car in the world with outer rear disc brakes. Jaguar had made inboard ones (near their diff) but they didn't work too well. But the 504 ones worked so well that they needed very little design change before they came out in 505s.....for another ten years !

They had a few rust problems but usually with the Australian rust proofing. And the drivers seats backs needed strengthening in 1972 models. The backs broke after a few years, but they were the wonderful complete layback, camping body "Peugeot Hilton" seats.
A bit of welding necessary.

And I believe 504s won the South Africa car rally five years running, against Mercedes who had helicopter parts backup. Nyah nyah. :D
EAST Africa Rally. Bolts hold the torque tube to the REAR housing of the gearbox.

Further to the East African Safari, they won in 1975 in a sedan and 1978 in a Coupe, Mercedes was never any competition, mainly Datsuns, Mitsubishis, Fords and lancia Stratos. 404s won 4 times in the 60s.

(Ahem)....I stand corrected. Torque tube to rear of gearbox. My brain hasn't been the same since I got COVID the second time :rolleyes:

It's okay, mate. We understand. Long COVID will do that to you.