Peugeot 504 plug springs

Photo

Attachments

• 23B729FB-B88E-41AA-9985-FFA8D516AF57.jpeg
    23B729FB-B88E-41AA-9985-FFA8D516AF57.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 87
Remove the plug using a deep plug socket/tube. The spring is attached to the top of the spark plug via a small nut.

And make sure you don't undo the spring because the nut will then be free to fall down in to the combustion chamber.

This isn't much help, but Peugeot used to supply a long tube socket in the tool kit, but they were a bit flimsy and it's probably long gone from you car.

Don't know, but they should be fairly easy to source. Best to check around. They come in a number of sizes so you need to make sure you end up with the correct size.

Ok thanks. I guess repco etc wouldn’t stick this ?
No harm in trying, although I am not sure that many moderns share this quirky french feature

It is a good system, although ocasionally you can get a miss with arcing across from the spring to the head if bakelite tube cracked/wrong. Spotted by looking in the dark And seeing flashy lights.

Der Franzose ( Germany ) and Série04 (France ) have them

Not much use if you want onme immediately, but the one I got from DF is very good

Best also to think about whatever else you might need, to get as much value for your shipping buck as you can

Good luck

Andrew

if its arching from the spring to the metal tube ,and the fault is visible .i have got away with a temporary repair to the backer light .using some heat shrink from an electrical wholesaler or j car ,a couple of layers applied ,one after the other ,seems to stop the tracking .if there is a carbon deposit were it is tracking try to scrape it out before putting the shrink on as the carbon will track ,particularly if there is any moisture around ,humidity ,this is a temporary repair ,

Hi how do I remove these to change the plugs? Sorry for the dumb question
As has been implied, v. important that you don't try and remove the springs first - use a long tube spanner to remove the plugs with the springs still attached, then swap the springs over to the new plugs before attempting to fit them.

From memory you will find these are the larger diameter plugs - not the slim ones fitted to 'newer' (1990s and later) PSA engines.