Peugeot 504/505.

Did the 504 early 505 engines do away with the crankshaft sludge traps and or the bolt on counterweights ?
Anyone?
I had a late model 504 wagon (~1983 from memory). This engine had a square port head as did all the early 505s with XN1 engines.

I rebuilt my 504 wagon motor which I had balanced, shaved the head for higher compression, fitted a 30/70 camshaft (including fly cutting the pistons to ensure that valves did not meet with pistons!) and a weber carby. I fitted new rings and bearings of course and this motor would easily rev to 6500 rpm (and 7000 at a stretch without mechanical distress)

This engine had the first crankshaft I had seen without sludge traps. I have rebuilt many XNI engines since the mid seventies and I always removed these plugs, dug out the sludge traps and replaced the brass crankshaft plug screws so I was very surprised to see this sludge trap-less crankshaft. From memory, it still retained the bolt on counterweights.

When rebuilding an XN1 with a sledge trap-less crankshaft it is important to fit big end bearings designed specifically for this XN1 crank. The difference is that the bearing for the big end no 3 piston has a central groove apparently to improve oil supply to this crank pin at sustained high revs (as I was to find out latter). The big bearings for crank pins 1, 2 and 4 are not grooved.

When I rebuilt my wagon engine, I did not notice the groove in the big end shells for no 3 crank pin and I fitted a standard set of XN1 big end and main bearings which I had on hand (without the oil supply groove in no 3 big end shells). The engine performed beautifully for the next couple of years until I undertook a test run (after a tune up)!

On a straight piece of undulating down hill road, I run the motor up to 6500 in top gear and was able to hold these revs for approx. 15-20 seconds. Suddenly, I felt the engine begin to run a little rough so I immediately backed off on the accelerator and depressed the clutch pedal but to no avail as the engine failed throwing conrod no 3 with the conrod cap escaping through the side of the block. The bent rod (which I still have as a memento) I found in the sump together with remains of the piston.

Somewhat mystified by this event, I asked around and read whatever I could find about XNI engine design/failures (this is long before the inter-web and search engines) and ultimately I decided no 3 conrod bearing was starved of oil at sustained high revs because I fitted incorrect big end bearings!

So be careful when rebuilding an XN1 with a sludge trap-less crank to source the correct big end bearing set.

Cheers

John

On a straight piece of undulating down hill road, I run the motor up to 6500 in top gear and was able to hold these revs for approx. 15-20 seconds. Suddenly, I felt the engine begin to run a little rough so I immediately backed off on the accelerator and depressed the clutch pedal but to no avail as the engine failed throwing conrod no 3 with the conrod cap escaping through the side of the block. The bent rod (which I still have as a memento) I found in the sump together with remains of the piston.
Still to this day I change gears in my std. Ti at 6000.
Years ago after watching the Williamson Toyota at Bathurst use 7000 all day (1st onboard camera) I thought why not give it go. SO,I did and it was reasonably happy at 7000 until I put the clutch in and left it in. It threw the clutch lining off!