Peugeot 407

Smoz91

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi everyone
Just recently purchased 2004 407 it’s a great car but keep getting an esp fault?
Would go away intermittently but now just stays on
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Austin

Welcome to AF.

The ESP on/off button lights when turned off, with the dashboard display. This isn't a fault.

I assume you mean the dashboard display only.

The ESP functiona are handled by the ABS electronics. Do you have access to an OBD code reader? Diagnosis is made much easier if we know it has thrown an error code. The idiot light permanently on means something is amiss. It also usually shows the SERVICE light.

Pull back the rubber lining in the centre console storage front and you will see an orange socket for on-board diagnostics.

It won't be relevant to this question, but when seeking mechanical help here quote letters 6-7-8 of the VIN, eg RHR. This is the code for the particular engine in your vehicle. Peugeot shares its engines among several models, and most models have a choice of engines.

Garages use very expensive code readers with many functions, but a very basic model can be bought for about $40 - $60 at places like Jaycar or Supercheap, or even at Aldi sometimes. They can be powered off the port, or used with a mobile phone display.

Thanks for replying!
Yeah just the esp light on the dash stays on
I’ll have to get a code reader and I’ll check back in
Thanks again :)

I asked because the easiest fix is a faulty wheel sensor or its hub ring. They can be harmed during brake pad, disc or caliper work if you aren't careful. There are many Youtubes, search "Peugeot 407 ABS sensor".

There is a sensor on each wheel hub to supply the ESP/ABS computer with each wheel's current rotation speed. Malfunction will throw up a fault.

I asked because the easiest fix is a faulty wheel sensor or its hub ring. They can be harmed during brake pad, disc or caliper work if you aren't careful. There are many Youtubes, search "Peugeot 407 ABS sensor".

There is a sensor on each wheel hub to supply the ESP/ABS computer with each wheel's current rotation speed. Malfunction will throw up a faul

There is a sensor on each wheel hub to supply the ESP/ABS computer with each wheel's current rotation speed. Malfunction will throw up a fault.
Thank you for the heads up!
I’ll get on you tube and see what’s there
Last time I tried all the videos were in Spanish 😂 I’ll have to do a better search
Cheers!
Austin

Had the same problem. Buy 4x abs sensors and fixed it. Doesn’t effect anything so it’s unless going over the pits I’d leave it.

The car still goes, but from a safety point of view leaving it is like going back 30 years,