Peugeot 407 V6 Auto - Car wouldn't start

codename47

Fellow Frogger
[SOLVED] Peugeot 407 V6 Auto - Car wouldn't start ES9A PSF1 Fuse BOX BSM Issue

I went to shopping centre today and when I came back and cranked the car, it would only crank but won't start. I started to diagnose with the obd tool and it threw bunch of codes that says all the ignition coils and injectors aren't getting any power.

I read on the internet that it is psf1 module needs to change.

Do you guys know how can this be fixed? or any mechanic that you can refer ? I live in South East of Melbourne. And car is standing at the shopping centre.

Thanks in advance, :(

UPDATE: The car has been fixed. Please see my post below on how to fix the relay

Last edited:
yup checked all fuses both inside the engine compartment and the glove box and all looks good.

Would you know where can I source that part from ?

What were the code numbers, in case it throws more light on the problem?

I've got the codes here:

P0261
P0276
P0267
P0273
P026R
P0270
P0336
P0261P
P0444
P0076
P0082
P033
B2F00

Check battery voltage - I believe a dying battery could explain all your symptoms.

Cheers

Alec

I've gone through some of those. It looks like you have a heap of old codes that haven't been cleared.

But the first group of P codes will stop you - all the injectors are open circuit or earthed to ground. If not a fuse, something is broken. Trace back all the way to battery.

The crank position sensor P0335 is confused - either too many teeth or too many revs. Probably old.

The purge canister solenoid valve P0443 is (or has been) also open circuit.

I tried jump starting as well but did not work. I thought may be the battery doesn't have enough power which is why it's not starting.

So far:
-Checked all fuses
-Tried jump Starting the car
-Diagnosed with OBD scanner and listed codes

I am going to tow the car home and then replace the PSF1 myself. Anyone here can help finding the part for my car?

2004 Peugeot 407 V6 ES9A Petrol 2.9 Litre , 6 Speed Automatic SV executive.

Please mark it solved. I fixed the Psf1 myself.
I will post the results tomorrow and solution. Don't go ahead and change the part without fixing it.

Fascinating - great to actually get a solution! Look forward to seeing the details.

Cheers

Alec

SOLVED - Peugeot 407 ES9A V6 Not starting BSI PSF1 Fault FUSEBOX Issue

Hi All,

I have figured out the way to fix this issue.

Symptoms:
1. Car does not start
2. Car cranks but does not fire up
3. Electricals are all working
4. OBD Scanner gives multiple codes such as Open circuit to Injectors, Open circuit to Coils, Open Circuit to Fuel Pump, Crank Angle Sensor error etc
5. Fuel Pump does not prime (as per OBD as well)

Problem:

The relay in the fuse box under the bonnet has caused an issue. The connector that is responsible to give the go ahead for starting the car ( completes circuit for injectors/fuel pumps/ignition coils) has increased gap.

Fix:
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Open the fuse box cover
3. open the three Bus connectors ( 1 2 and 3)
4. Take both the connectors off.
5. Undo the Nut for earth
6. Now slowly and carefully pull the part out by taking the clips off with the help of a screw driver
7. Take the bottom fuse compartment attached via clip and take the part off the compartment
8. Cut open the Relay 1 on the TOP LEFT corner carefully
9. Do not use force to rip it apart as it can cause damage to the board.
10. Buy a cheap relay or a FORD one as shown in photos and connect as per diagram attached.

FUSE BOX RELAY Connectors ( C2 and same color ones are basically same connection)
1m0AP7.png

FORD Relay ( you can use any )
5gbpkF.jpg

Relay Break open to test (don't break others )
e6D5ti.jpg

Connections:
IZYo5I.jpg

Final Product:
Vnswtk.jpg

I hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Not sure how you worked this out, but this saved my car. Thank you!! Put some epoxy in there to hold the 'new' wiring in place.

That's very good work that could solve a few non starters - well done. Looks like there was quite a bit of heat present when the original relay chose to self destruct. Thanks codename47.

I had a local mechanic call me for the same issue above for a 407, once he knew the issue stemmed from the BSM, he whipped the BSM out, onto his Autodata once he found no power to fuse 5 and fuse 10 and did a quick relay replacement, looks pretty good.

But being a mechanic he did say the soldering space is very limited and he could have done better, but customer is back on the road.

The Autodata wiring details had all the info required (y)

Attachments

• B973E2F8-.jpg
    B973E2F8-.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 638