Peugeot 407 Lots of brake pedal travel

I replaced the front pads and discs today. Fairly straight forward. Much easier to leave the brake line attached to the piston as I realised with the second side.

Manually bled the front and I will do a full bleed soon.

I went for a drive to bed the pads in this evening.

The car seems to have lost its alignment and or wheel balance. Turning the wheel at low cornering speeds results in a wobble?

On the highway there does not seem to be as big an issue??? I even rechecked the wheel nuts to ensure that nothing was loose!

Any ideas? Could replacing the pads and discs have somehow thrown out my wheel alignment?

Many Thanks

shobbz

I replaced the front pads and discs today. Fairly straight forward. Much easier to leave the brake line attached to the piston as I realised with the second side.

The car seems to have lost its alignment and or wheel balance. Turning the wheel at low cornering speeds results in a wobble?

On the highway there does not seem to be as big an issue??? I even rechecked the wheel nuts to ensure that nothing was loose!

Any ideas? Could replacing the pads and discs have somehow thrown out my wheel alignment?

Many Thanks

shobbz

It might be prudent to remove and refit the discs making sure they are seated.

I assume the disc becomes the wheel mounting face, and if for some reason a bit of grit or something got behind the disk and it is not seating true, the wheel will not sit true either.

I know from past experience that a slightly proud disk retaining screw in combination with an after market rim has caused the rim to not seat properly.

Jo

It might be prudent to remove and refit the discs making sure they are seated.

I assume the disc becomes the wheel mounting face, and if for some reason a bit of grit or something got behind the disk and it is not seating true, the wheel will not sit true either.

I know from past experience that a slightly proud disk retaining screw in combination with an after market rim has caused the rim to not seat properly.

Jo

I was fearful that this might be the case. Do you have to wire brush the hub face? I just wiped down the hub face as it looked okay?

Shobbz?

I was fearful that this might be the case. Do you have to wire brush the hub face? I just wiped down the hub face as it looked okay?

Shobbz?

I have never been that fussy.
If you have a dial gauge and stand, you could test the rotating disk when you install it.
Alternatively, test the tyre with a bit of wood and a stick of chalk if a dial gauge is too scientific.

Jo

brakes?

Many Thanks

shobbz

Shobbz,
Did you completely bleed/flush the brake fluid? It does look like a contaminant in the reservoir. Mineral oil or water/coolant?
I used to shudder when in a workshop situation I would see open or unmarked containers on benches.:(

Re the alignment, balance problem. Did you put the same wheel/s tyres back on their original hubs? Tightening wheels to the correct torque is advised.
A different wear pattern may be affecting things.

Of course check all other suggestions posted.

Last edited:
I have a few quotes for new brakes, need to do some saving it seems.....

I thought that I would just have a look at the brake fluid tonight. The level never seems to change but I thought that I would have a look at the fluid.......

See attached image.
This is looking into my brake fluid reservoir. This does not look right!!!! Is this normal or is something contaminating my brake fluid!!!

shobbz

It looks like someone has been mixing different brake fluid types, (Mineral and Synthetic).

Bleed the system well, using the correct fluid type........

First use a syringe to remove the contaminated fluid from the reservoir and make sure it is clean before refilling and bleeding.

Has someone been topping up the fluid level and if so with what??

Shobbz?

No.... so long as it looks clean.
The retaining screws are counter sunk and it will be obvious if one is sticking out.

Shobbz,
Did you completely bleed/flush the brake fluid? It does look like a contaminant in the reservoir. Mineral oil or water/coolant?
I used to shudder when in a workshop situation I would see open or unmarked containers on benches.:(

Re the alignment, balance problem. Did you put the same wheel/s tyres back on their original hubs? Tightening wheels to the correct torque is advised.
A different wear pattern may be affecting things.

Of course check all other suggestions posted.

I have only bled the brakes to get the air out. I will do this again when I have more time. I don't have a torque wrench so I think that this exercise has highlighted that I should buy one.

The fluid coming out was very dark and contaminated. Looked a bit like alge. This needs to be totally replaced. I have only done the front so far.

I did not clean the rotors before I put them on. Maybe this is another cause.

Shobbz

407 Diesel

Haynes website states manual for 407 diesel will be released in May 2012. I left email address for advice of date for ordering.

Haynes website states manual for 407 diesel will be released in May 2012. I left email address for advice of date for ordering.

:) I saw a post about this on another board. Will be good. Pity about no manual about the petrol. I guess all the major stuff the DIY mechanic will be playing with will be covered in the Haynes Diesel manual though:)

shobbz

The shuddering seems to be when turning the wheel. As if is is stiff.........

Very apparent at low speeds. Almost feels like a dragging tire???

Could I have upset something when I was jacking up the car?

shobbz

dodgy fluid?

Hi-Maybe someone has 'mixed up the Dots'-I.E. the brake fluid types.Is it Dot 3& 4 or 4&5 that are not compatible and make 'an orrible mess'..Just to add people like to use synthetic brake fluid.It is not hydroscopic like normal fluid but as it is not any water in system settles to the low points.PLUS IF YOU ADD NORMAL & SILICONE YOU HAVE A GOOIE MESS.
MY:2cents:
Pekay:cheers:

I am using castrol dot 4. I will do a full flush when I get A chance. I am only doing manual bleeds though so hopefully the abs circuit is not getting air blocks.

I will clean the discs with brake cleaner as I did not clean the coating off the discs before I put them on. This might be the issue.

I can feel a shudder when I turn left. It does feel like something is rubbing. Maybe jacking the car up I have bent something or put too much pressure on a joint somewhere?

Shobbz

Are the rotors from Peugeot or another manufacturer?

Rotors are QH and pads are Valeo.

When the car is stationary ie driving off whilst turning there appears to be a shudder that I can feel through the steering wheel.

Pads grabbing or a joint somewhere giving way during the jacking up. I had the car on stands. Maybe this upset something.

Sorry for prattling on. I just want the car back to it's old self.

Shobbz

I took everything apart this morning. I wirebrushed all surfaces before putting it all together. I also used brake cleaner on everything and re greased the moving arms on the caliper arms.

Still grating if I turn left towards full lock.

I had the clutch done last week could something happened when that was done?

Shobbz

And the flex hose is all good, not misaligned and gringing on the tread??

Jo

No power steering fluid. I am still looking into how this got so low?

Topped it up and car seems to be okay. I just hope that driving for a week with very low fluid did not do any significant damage.

shobbz