Peugeot 407 HDI Coupe Recommended Tyres

Rod Piggott

Tadpole
I have a relative who has recently purchased a 407 HDI twin Turbo Coupe which has Pirelli tyres on it
and it has excessive road noise. Could one of your members be able to recommend a suitable tyre without the
truck like road noise

My 308 came with Pirelli Nero Zeros (Zero Neros??)
anyway thought they were a bit noisy but were quiet compared to the Bridgstone Potenza r005 (IIRC) I got next.. they were horrible.
Thought I had a flat when first driving home with them.. even stopped and got out to check.
Now have Continental MC5. I think they replaced the Conti-Contact 3 .... but they seem ok and reasonably quiet. Good roadholding IMO

Decca

As one of the members mentioned the Kumho KU27 is a tyre designed for vehicles that should have a tyre in keeping with the 407. The KU27 has a asymmetrical pattern which assists in eliminating the heal and toe effect that creates noise as the tyre wears. One very important thing you will have to maintain is to keep the pressures at 36 PSI, this will assist in keeping the flaring of the tread at a minimum.
Being front wheel drive, you need to rotate the tyres between 6 - 7,000 Kilometers.
If I remember the KU27 was on one of the Mercedes models as OEM
If you require further information, please contact me for details of sizes available in the KU27.

Agreed. I replaced the Perilli tyres on my Coupe with Khumo KH27's and I am very happy with them. They are quiet and after 6000k's the wear seem great.
I only got 40000k's out of the Perilli's and they were noisy.
Graham

The Continental ContiSportContact 3's on our 308 are nice and quiet - I've just put the 3rd set on. They're also cheaper now that ContiSportContact 5 and ContiSportContact 5P's are out. I'm not sure that the ContiMaxContact replaced the CSC3's - the MC5 looks to be more of a 'comfort' tyre - haven't read any reviews yet though.

Cheers

Justin

Last edited:
Blow it up!

I have a relative who has recently purchased a 407 HDI twin Turbo Coupe which has Pirelli tyres on it
and it has excessive road noise. Could one of your members be able to recommend a suitable tyre without the
truck like road noise

Rod I have a coupe too, same noises, pump them up say 40 - 42 psi. See how you go. It quiets mine down, although feels too high.

Good luck:)

Rod I to have recently purchased a 407 coupe and it came with new Pirelli tyres, they are a bit noisy but the most anoying thing is the back tends to tram track on uneven surfaces.
Like BIGRR has said bumping the pressure up does help, but I too will look for an alternative tyre when due.
Toyo make a tyre in this size but have had no reports.

Good luck
Creepy

I currently have MAXIS tyres and have run several Khomos. I choose grip over wear ( not that you have much choice with the coup rims) but both are marginlly noiser than the originals. Another major advantage was price.

I have used Pirelli P Zero, Conti Sport and am now using Michelin Pilot Sport 3. I can barely tell the difference; the variation as they age is much greater. Like BigRR I have found 41 psi to be a happy point as far as noise and handling. Bear in mind though that this is a big heavy limousine like car with no sporting pretensions and which is surprisingly quiet at almost all times.