Peugeot 407 Coupe Battery Connection

FrankMerc1957

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi, The handbook for 2006 Peugeot 407 2.7 HDI Coupe states that when reconnecting the battery - "start with the negative terminal" (page 112). I have always been taught to connect positive first. Is the handbook correct and if so, why?

Hi, The handbook for 2006 Peugeot 407 2.7 HDI Coupe states that when reconnecting the battery - "start with the negative terminal" (page 112). I have always been taught to connect positive first. Is the handbook correct and if so, why?
The way you were taught is correct, this method is used for negative earth vehicles as a precaution if you make a mistake like dropping the spanner or touching the end of the spanner to earth. With the negative terminal disconnected you can short the positive terminal to earth without shorting out the battery and getting a light show.

Can't think of any reason why Peugeot would require the battery connection to be done as described in their book.

Put a new battery in my coupe not long ago. Could it be that it is very hard to put the earth connection on after you have placed the battery into its final position???!!! Not kidding.

Put a new battery in my coupe not long ago. Could it be that it is very hard to put the earth connection on after you have placed the battery into its final position???!!! Not kidding.
Both terminals are very hard to access. I note you own an '08 407 coupe - 2 years later than mine. Does your handbook say " negative first"?

The way you were taught is correct, this method is used for negative earth vehicles as a precaution if you make a mistake like dropping the spanner or touching the end of the spanner to earth. With the negative terminal disconnected you can short the positive terminal to earth without shorting out the battery and getting a light show.

Can't think of any reason why Peugeot would require the battery connection to be done as described in their book.
I agree with all you say. My concern is that I have little understanding of "modern" vehicle electronics so thought there may be a reason of which I am not aware.

Both terminals are very hard to access. I note you own an '08 407 coupe - 2 years later than mine. Does your handbook say " negative first"?
Yes, it does say "negative first".

I note it does not say which to disconnect first!

Always check my handbook after I have finished :)

I don't drive my coupe enough (still only 35k km on clock). NICE CAR THOUGH.

Members may recall once upon a time Huawei was a major player in Android mobiles, the P series beginning with P20 was so popular Trump has to snip off its wings with pressure from Apple, the Americans did this by warning google not to licence its software to Huawei and Huawei alone, pretty soon all countries refused Huawei buiding their 5G network and yet optus fallout shows you don't need Huawei built infrastructure to paralyse a network full stop. Any questions? Good

HUAWEI now has diversified seeing BYD success, yes HUAWEI electric vehicles taking preorder now the Luxeed S7 (told you should get a full time job in China to think of premium names for products, you didn't! As a result: Luxeed S7)

HUAWEI might just comeback with a roar unless Americans have found a way to prevent battery manufacturing by foreign countries this time with pressure from Tesla

And

Last edited:
Please disregard I am unsure how I hijacked this thread I thought I was writing on my thread! Can mods move this back to my thread please? Thank you!
Writing on tablet is tricky!