Peugeot 406 EGR problems

zayidhs

Tadpole
Hello guys,

New here and actually joined after going through and seeing there is a possibility to get my problem solved.

I a have a manual tranny 2000 406 D9 with EW10J4 engine. I traveled for about a year and came back to meet several problems. Fortunately, I have one of those Chinese PP2000 which I used to scan and fix the issues successfully except for EGR valve which throws error P01454 EGR valve regulation, EGR excessive recycling and EGR short-circuit to positive .

On inspection, I realized the EGR valve doesn't behave normal - which should be the valve rapidly opening and closing several times making a knocking noise and finally resting at close. Rather, it will retract once and remain open.

I tried the EGR valve on another car but it worked fine, when I used a working EGR valve on my car, it still misbehaved.

Hypothesis: problem with signal getting to the valve.

So I checked wiring harness from EGR connector to the ECU but all seems fine. Also, all fuses were checked and they're all OK.

Also, around the same time the EGR started misbehaving, the compressor clutch refuses to engage and we're yet to find a solution so a relay was used to get a the compressor to work.

Any ideas please?

Thanks a lot.

Can't help you with the egr coz mine are all HDIs
The aircon is likely to be a mini relay in the BSI computer. This has been discussed before, so do a search. It's not a big job, if passion fingers here can do it (to 2 cars) anyone can.

Mine says for P1454 - Commande EGR haut. That looks like the signal.

The aircon is likely to be a mini relay in the BSI computer. This has been discussed before, so do a search. It's not a big job, if passion fingers here can do it (to 2 cars) anyone can.

Welcome to Aussie Frogs! You are not the first Nigerian to join this forum, although we haven't heard from Ikenna, who loves his lions, here for a while.

The aircon fix may be even simpler - replacing the ignition switch on my D9 SV fixed mine.

Cheers

Alec

Thanks for your time, I did stumble on the information. Will find time to work on the compressor issue

Welcome to Aussie Frogs! You are not the first Nigerian to join this forum, although we haven't heard from Ikenna, who loves his lions, here for a while.

The aircon fix may be even simpler - replacing the ignition switch on my D9 SV fixed mine.

Cheers

Alec

Yeah, Ikenna does help out a lot, it's a coincidence that I meet him here.

About the ignition, I thought if the blower comes up then it isn't an ignition problem. Cos my blower works, just the compressor clutch refuses to engage

Thanks BTW

Thanks

Yeah, Ikenna does help out a lot, it's a coincidence that I meet him here.

About the ignition, I thought if the blower comes up then it isn't an ignition problem. Cos my blower works, just the compressor clutch refuses to engage

Thanks BTW

Oops - missed your reply.

Sounds logical, but in my car the cabin blower has always worked fine, but in my car the cabin blower worked fine (seems a far more reliable unit than the ones fitted to Citroen Xantias!) - it was just the air-con compressor not cutting in. Actually, just remembered another point I should have mentioned earlier - I could still operate the air-con compressor clutch via PP2000 activation test.

From time to time Fuse #32 (in the under-bonnet fuse box) blows for no apparent reason - symptoms are exactly the same as when the switch was faulty - even PP2000 compressor test still works.

The activation test doesn't run for long, but proves that the compressor clutch still works. It also proves that the wiring is basically OK, although PP2000 must bypass certain parts, such as the ignition switch (and Fuse #32). What I don't know is whether the test would still work if the relevant relay mounted on the BSI was faulty.

BTW - it was Balki on this forum who suggested that the ignition switch might be the cause. Initially I just dismantled, cleaned and reassembled the switch, which was enough to get the air-con working again, but it stopped working again fairly quickly. A new switch has been totally effective in curing the fault. Here is the thread I started when I had this problem:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/104072-air-con-problems-406-a.html

Here's a typical replacement switch - clearer picture than most of the wiring. The switch is the bone coloured part at the bottom left.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/PEUGEOT-206...731630?hash=item1a0f2c9cae:g:2usAAOSwrU1bI58o

Note that all these repro switches have the same fault - the wires to the blue plug are too short! Presumably the design is correct for something - just not for a D9 406 SV! I got my local auto-electrician to cut off the blue plug, and graft the old plug with the longer wires on instead.

Now as to your more serious problem with the EGR - sorry, don't have a clue!

Cheers

Alec