Peugeot 405 Mi16 Mk2 lights not turning off, blinkers not working etc

poiyda

Tadpole
Hi, I have a new problem today with my Mi16. Car driving perfectly for long time. No warning. Today, put blinker on and no blinkers working, then no headlights. On dash the high beam light is showing my hi beam is on, but it isn't at the headlights. When I switch the lights on / off, no change. The light stay on low beam and all my blinkers are permanently on, but not flashing, just like tail lights. Rear fog work ok. Front fog nothing happening. When ignition turned off, front lights and blinkers are still on. I have to disconnect battery to get them off. I am wondering, maybe dodgy light switch, blinker and high beam stalk on steering column. Anyone have this ever and what was the cure please. Always happens on the coldest and wettest weeks. Thanks. Peter.

They're analogue wiring. I'd say either a ground has gone missing or the blinker switch is falling apart inside.

Removal of the steering column shroud will permit testing of the switch, if the lights remain on once the battery is refitted yet go off when the switch is unplugged, it's an easy check.

Of course, if the car was ever fitted with an alarm, that should first be investigated for the possibility it messed up the factory wiring and some insulation tape may have now come off...

No alarm. Will pull the blinker shaft off tomorrow. Horn is also not working, so something amis on that blinker arm on teh steering column. Will let you know. Can buy the whole part new, so was always wondering why they are still for sale, so must be a common weakness and they short out?

Yeah, you can still get them fairly easily if not from dealers, then perhaps here in the parts wanted section, or if that fails, definitely on ebay in Europe.

I had very strange things happen when the stop light fuse blew in my S2 405 SRi. so maybe check all the fuses.

Hi, I have a new problem today with my Mi16. Car driving perfectly for long time. No warning. Today, put blinker on and no blinkers working, then no headlights. On dash the high beam light is showing my hi beam is on, but it isn't at the headlights. When I switch the lights on / off, no change. The light stay on low beam and all my blinkers are permanently on, but not flashing, just like tail lights. Rear fog work ok. Front fog nothing happening. When ignition turned off, front lights and blinkers are still on. I have to disconnect battery to get them off. I am wondering, maybe dodgy light switch, blinker and high beam stalk on steering column. Anyone have this ever and what was the cure please. Always happens on the coldest and wettest weeks. Thanks. Peter.

In my series 1 if the fuse for the cigarette lighter blew I would get a battery light up and no indicators or electric windows so i would agree with Graham . Check all of the fuses not just the one the manual tells you

Lights not turning off

In my series 1 if the fuse for the cigarette lighter blew I would get a battery light up and no indicators or electric windows so i would agree with Graham . Check all of the fuses not just the one the manual tells you
Had 405 way back with tail light/ brake light/ blinker issues. Established earth at rear by taking lead from both rear light clusters & screwing to base of boot. Only took minutes & many months' problems went away. Its worth a try before you pull too much to bits. I recall the advice was ex Aussiefrogs somewhere.

How did you get the 309 switch, do you have any other 309 parts?

Got a new indicator stalk on the way. Problem ceases when the light switch is disconnected, so likely the cause. Will let you know when I connect up the new one to test it.

Hi Graham, I have been breaking a 1991 309GR for sometime now and most of the car has gone. The scrapper took the carcase
and I have just a few items left. Let me know what you are looking for.
Thanks

Ah, didn't realise you were in NZ.
I am after a windscreen, the one in the rally car broke as it was being removed, even after cutting the rubber and going to the trouble of buying a new rubber from the UK. I managed to buy a spare screen here in Aus, it had been in stock for many years, so OK for the time being but looking for a new spare. Tail lights? I just bought a set of front indicators from Germany and have plenty of headlights.
Do you have the rear ARB or even the beam complete?
Rear hatch, bonnet, front guards?

I have a stock S1 GTi and an S2 GTi which is being converted to a GTi16 rally car, pictures soon, body work is almost done.

Graham,I have headlights,sidelights,wiper/washer column switch,aerial and mountings,power steering pump and drive belt,1 only
door switch,2 cooling fan relays,carb vacuum reservoir,a set of tappets and shims(for xu52c motor). Let me know if any of these
items are of use to you. In the meantime I will go back to the scrapper to see if the windscreen and rear hatch (S2) are still
available.

Thanks, the headlights are the only things on the list unique to 309s and I have plenty of those!
It would be great if hatch and screen were still there.

Problem fixed. Turned out to be a short in the indicator stalk, from the horn button. Shorted out the relay. Once relay was changed (way under the dash and steering column) and new stalk fitted. all is working fine. So there you go.

I have a 405 where I can't lock the steering column switch in full beam.
I can pull it towards me to flash but I can't push it away from me to lock it in full beam.
If a steering column switch of this kind is healthy how do you lock it in full beam so it stays?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811-032246_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811-032246_Gallery.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20230811-032440_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811-032440_Gallery.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 58