Peugeot 405 Headlight relay location?

Fredrik

Tadpole
Tadpole
I'm trying to find the relay for the high power front lights mode on a 405 but can't find it. It's not in the fuse/relay panel under the steering wheel.
Does anyone know where it is?

I hear it click but it doesn't give power to the lights.

If I have the car in normal light mode and pull the light lever towards me I get full power lights. I don't get the high beam light bulb in the instrument panel either.

Model is 1990 SRI

The stick has a four pin and a six pin connector. I've measured it in all states and it looks healthy to me.

The 6-pin connector controls left&right turn signal, horn and one of the pins in that connector drives the full beam relay.

Attachments

• r20230804_115709_50.jpg
    r20230804_115709_50.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 50
This is the fuse/relay box under the steering wheel.
Even with all relays in this picture named 1,2,3,4,5 removed I can hear that the full beam relay clicks rather loud.

Attachments

• r20230804_165846_50.jpg
    r20230804_165846_50.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 55
[53] is the high beam relay I'm trying to find.

[36] is the rotating lights handle that I showed previously in this thread.

[110] is the instrument panel.
[110t] is the high beam notify light in the instrument panel.

[52]&[54] Are the high beam front lights.

Not sure that all details are 100% correct in this service book but it's probably very close to reality.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230807-214952_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230807-214952_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 63
I'm trying to find the relay for the high power front lights mode on a 405 but can't find it. It's not in the fuse/relay panel under the steering wheel.

If I have the car in normal light mode and pull the light lever towards me I get full power lights. I don't get the high beam light bulb in the instrument panel either.

Model is 1990 SRI
Maybe the relay is underneath the left hand side of the dash - I'm not sure. But that is where all the relay noises seemed to come from. I've got used to the relays making all sorts of noises at times! The high beam in the instrument panel is obviously just a burned out bulb - they have a limited life.
John505

Model is 1990 SRI
Hi Fredrik, if the relay is clicking and the high beam comes on with the "flasher function" it sounds to me like a faulty light switch.
I remember vividly when the lights dropped out at about 90klm's with a trailer attached on a Ford Falcon years ago and luckily pulling the light flasher on and holding it on got me home.
405 's up to 1992 had most of the relays under the fascia behind the main fuse box and mounted on brackets around the steering column.
Some models also had some relays located in the relay box at the front left hand corner of the engine compartment or at the left hand corner of the scuttle
Alain

Thank you both very much for your help.

I found a very concealed black metal frame in the far far corner next to the clutch pedal. The frame has a screw fixed to it and a nut secures it to the gray metal frame on the right side of it. The other side of the black metal is held up by the flat edges securing it so it's just one nut to remove to release it.

It holds three relays. Where I'm holding it the rightmost relay is the one which gets energized when full beam is selected by rotating the lights handle to the highest one.

I examined the two rightmost relays specs and they are identical so I switched places on those to see if that could make the full beam work. Unfortunately the problem is the same.

With lights handle set to highest, when I push the handle I can't lock the lights to full beam. Also in this mode I can't flash full beam by holding it.

When I have the lights handle set to normal lights level I can flash high beam which works fine and I get no relay sound in that mode which I think is normal.

And today I got the high beam notify light working in the instrument panel. It had stopped working because of oxidation on the conductive plastic film. I just changed places with the normal beam and full beam lamps and that did the trick.

Although the full beam notify only lights up when I flash the full beam with the selector stick in normal lights mode.
I don't get any full beam notify when I try to lock-in full beam.

There are no relays behind the instrument panel.

Not really sure where to look further. There has to be a problem with what the relay is connected to rather than the relay itself because I already swapped it with another relay and got the same result.

If anyone has knowledge about this or ideas please write.

Big thanks to all of you who reads this.

Attachments

• r20230808_180831_50.jpg
    r20230808_180831_50.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 64
  • r20230808_194728_50.jpg
    r20230808_194728_50.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 66
  • r20230808_155526_50.jpg
    r20230808_155526_50.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 65
  • r20230808_181249_50.jpg
    r20230808_181249_50.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 61
Today I found three more relays in the upper right of the engine compartment. I think these relays are the ones for all the front light types. They are very close to the instrument panel but under the hood.

If anyone knows more about these relays I'm very interested to hear about it.

Attachments

• r20230809_170040_50.jpg
    r20230809_170040_50.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 55
I think I can remember pulling one of these switches apart. There were small wear shavings/bits of brass mixed in with the grease inside the switch. The shavings were the problem. I cleaned them out and reinstalled it and away it went. Not that easy to put back together.

I think I can remember pulling one of these switches apart. There were small wear shavings/bits of brass mixed in with the grease inside the switch. The shavings were the problem. I cleaned them out and reinstalled it and away it went. Not that easy to put back together.
Do you remember how the switch was operated to lock it in high beam full headlights mode? So it is possible to release your hands from the switch and still have full headlights on?

If its like the 205 of the same time pull back on the lever to engage and lock high beam?

If its like the 205 of the same time pull back on the lever to engage and lock high beam?
Yeah, pulling towards the driver for flash and away from driver to lock is what I would expect.

The car belongs to an elderly relative and he's a bit confused about how it locked into high beam so I've been trying to figure out if the stick is faulty or if it's an electronic problem instead.

I'm getting more and more convinced that the stick probably is faulty. Would just be good to hear from someone else how this stick is supposed to operate before ordering a new one.

Here is the correct page of the manual for Peugeot 405 online:

The manual shows that Matthew is correct.

With headlights on, pull the lever towards the steering wheel (past the "flash" position?) to activate the high beam.
Pull it towards the steering wheel again to change back to low beam.

So the movement to engage what you call the "locked" position is the SAME as the "flash" position. You always pull the lever back towards yourself - it alternates high/low/high/low with each pull of the lever. You never push the lever away from you. The lever snaps back when you release it, but the high beam should remain engaged. This only works with the headlight switch rotated to the main/dipped beam position. (picture of two different headlight beams.)

In other positions of the headlight switch (off and parking lights - 0 and small bulb pictures) pulling the lever towards you will only flash the high beam lights.

This is the same as on my old 307. It is explained more clearly in the 307 manual:

My current car, a VW Golf, works like you suggested Fredrik, but the Peugeot is different.

I tried to find the manuals online in Swedish but couldn't find them. You might have more luck.

Here is the correct page of the manual for Peugeot 405 online:

The manual shows that Matthew is correct.

With headlights on, pull the lever towards the steering wheel (past the "flash" position?) to activate the high beam.
Pull it towards the steering wheel again to change back to low beam.

So the movement to engage what you call the "locked" position is the SAME as the "flash" position. You always pull the lever back towards yourself - it alternates high/low/high/low with each pull of the lever. You never push the lever away from you. The lever snaps back when you release it, but the high beam should remain engaged. This only works with the headlight switch rotated to the main/dipped beam position. (picture of two different headlight beams.)

In other positions of the headlight switch (off and parking lights - 0 and small bulb pictures) pulling the lever towards you will only flash the high beam lights.

This is the same as on my old 307. It is explained more clearly in the 307 manual:

My current car, a VW Golf, works like you suggested Fredrik, but the Peugeot is different.

I tried to find the manuals online in Swedish but couldn't find them. You might have more luck.
Thank you for your detailed reply.

In stick rotated position 1 and 2 I can flash high beam.

In stick rotated to 3 highest setting when i pull it towards me nothing happens and if I measure the pins when disconnected from the cables there is nothing that's connected anywhere when I pull it towards me in this setting.

There is no states where I can feel it lock physically or jump. In position 3 it feels exactly like position 1 or 2.

I've tried to pull it hard to a sane extent and nothing to it.

Now I'm 100% sure it's the stick.

Will order a new one today.

Thank you all very much will post again about my progress 😁

My 205 has no battery at the moment I can validate this it for you?

Hi Fredrik,

Just checked on my '96 srdt wagon.
When the light switch is in either the first position (off) or second position, pulling back on the switch toward the driver turns on the high beam while the switch is held back.
When the light switch is in the third position (low beam on), pulling back turns on the high beam and latches. Releasing and pulling back again unlatches the switch and turns off the high beam.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Andrew

Be aware that the switch feels the same each time - even when the high beam "latches" to stay on, the lever still snaps back forward to its resting position. It never "feels" latched. The latching must happen at a relay?

You might try squirting some contact cleaner into the switch assembly - it is possible that a contact is stuck or dirty.
Can you find an equivalent to this product:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/contact-c...os=2&queryId=d1516abdf2a4816c09ffeabfba33c040

I have recommended that stuff so many times I should be on commission... ;)