Peugeot 404 worm gear oil

Viking

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi.
Just changed oil in the rear axle of my 404D. Last year I flushed it and put in mineral GL-3, and now it was a bit to much gold in the oil to feel good.
Is it a good idea to get Danolite Mild ep instead, or is Castrol r40 veggie oil better in any way?
Worried of getting the axlehousing full of gum buildup, or is that nothing to worry about?
You guys that run on ricin oil based stuff, how often do you change it? Is there any gum problem at all?

You should use an oil where you can verify in its data sheet that it does not attack the bronze worm wheel, this is the main concern with these diffs. Historically these have been Castrol STH140, Shell Dentax W. I don't know about the oils you mention. Our club sells and many members including me use the currently available Shell Omala S4WE 150. The data sheet for Shell Omala specifically references automotive worm drives.

I change mine every 4 or 5 years, I don't do many kms.

See images of these 2 products. Castor based was the recommended back in the day, so if you go down this path a very thorough flush before is totally necessary to remove any traces of what's in there now. Gold flecks in the diff oil is a sure telltale friction is going on. 2.JPGtvr ricin 2l minerva.jpgRicin 21 data.JPG

GL-3 sounds like Extreme Pressure oil? If so get rid of it immediately, flush the diff and replace with castor based Castrol R40 which is available without too much trouble, at bike suppliers. Castor based oils have less friction than others and won't attack the bronze.

The latest version of R40 has antioxidants, may address the possibility of gum build up?

Many NSW froggers use Penrite Mild EP which works very well and is safe for the bronze. The GL-3 you were using definitely doesn't sound right.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
The GL-3 I put in last year was recommended by my local oildealer, and should be whitout EP additivs. However gold after 100km can't be right, and must not lubricate enough.
The car has lived it life 50 years without castor oil, and that's why I am reluctant to put it in now. Afraid it will be some mineral oil left even after a flush.
Penrite mild ep isn't available in Scandinavia, but I can order Valvoline Danolite mild ep. On their website it says:

This SAE140 grade oil is for use in Hypoid type gears manufactured before 1960 and screw gears (e.g. Peugeot).

In a Hypoid type axle the teeth on the crown wheel and pinion simultaneously rotate and slide against one another, putting high pressure on the faces of the teeth. This action requires the use of extreme pressure (EP) additives to the oil to prevent wear.

It is blended to GL4 specifications, rather than GL5, meaning it will not affect ‘yellow’ metals such as bronze, copper and brass typically used as bushes, ring or shims.