Peugeot 404 ute Tyres

I wondered what I meant: YMMV is an abbreviation for “Your Mileage May Vary.” Basically, it means one person’s experience with a product may be different from another’s.
YMMV is often used in online forums to describe credit cards…

• Whose terms vary from cardholder to cardholder;
  • That don’t have clear-cut approval requirements; or
  • With offers that are available only for a limited time or to certain people.

I wondered what I meant: YMMV is an abbreviation for “Your Mileage May Vary.” Basically, it means one person’s experience with a product may be different from another’s.
YMMV is often used in online forums to describe credit cards…

• Whose terms vary from cardholder to cardholder;
  • That don’t have clear-cut approval requirements; or
  • With offers that are available only for a limited time or to certain people.

In this case, I meant not that someone's experience might differ but that someone's priorities might differ.

I think that everyone's experience of the Agilis versus the PC5 would be that the latter was markedly superior in the wet in both objective grip terms & subjective feel & talkative & responsive limit behaviour.

But people might exist who do not so prioritise wet grip but, rather, favour longevity. (These qualities are opposed in the compounding they demand.) Or favour a capacity to carry very heavy loads or withstand rough road driving. On such parameters of appraisal, the Agilis is superior to the PC5.

I wouldn't buy the Agilis given my priorities but if I did, my experience of it would be the same as someone who favoured it: longer life but lousier wet grip.

cheers! Peter

I went to a recommended tyre shop who found some cheaper 185r15 light truck tyres and was happy to get one in to try we fitted it too the rim I took it home and tried it on the ute it was an excellent fit that looked right unfortunately although a brand new tyre it is 6 years old ,back to square one at least I know the size that I like.

Peter
Agilis have excellent wet grip.
Bob

hmm!

We might just have to leave this at the "agree to disagree" level.

Much depends on the standards being applied. I don't suggest cheap-Chinese-dreadful levels of lethality in the wet, just comparative mediocrity. Try a sudden swerve in the wet & appraise limit behaviour & an emergency stop in the wet & see how it behaves at the threshold of grip.

That's quite general advice for anyone on any tyre fitment but of significance in prearming oneself with knowledge of what the tyre will do under stress - the Agilis might unpleasantly surprise you. I suggest the PC5 would be mega-excellent by your criteria of appraisal.

Cheers! Peter

I went to a recommended tyre shop who found some cheaper 185r15 light truck tyres and was happy to get one in to try we fitted it too the rim I took it home and tried it on the ute it was an excellent fit that looked right unfortunately although a brand new tyre it is 6 years old ,back to square one at least I know the size that I like.

I can't think what would be available in the size except the awful-in-the-wet (PM me for a copy of the only test I've seen) faux XVS "Classic" (made by Nankang, I gather). This is fitted by some of the Citroen DS folk; I've no idea who sells it.

Speaking of Nankang: they are rare in offering 175/80-15. See:

http://nankangtyres.com.au/tyre/xr-611/

&:

http://nankangtyres.com.au/tyre/na-1/

I wouldn't use either (poor wet grip) but YMMV.

You'll get an idea of size difference (to 185/80) at:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

You're right to refuse stock that old; the compound would have "whoofed" off enough volatiles to be seriously degraded in the wet (& likely degraded from a fairly low starting point).

cheers! Peter

Last edited:
Bridgestone 215 60 R 16 on 404 ute, modified F100 rim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 154
marty 404,
I use 195R/15C P.R. 106/104R Light Truck with my BA7/5 504 ute with LSD and 505gti rims
fitting just under the front springs and gear ratio is fine.
When I used the same on the 404 ute they hit the inner guard on full lock...something to look at.

Wow F100 rims with 215 tyres that's a lot of tyre ,good to hear the gearing is fine what diff ratio is your 504 ute .
Marty

Wow F100 rims with 215 tyres that's a lot of tyre ,good to hear the gearing is fine what diff ratio is your 504 ute .
Marty

215/60-16 is about 3% larger in diameter than 165/80-15. Whether they'd fit would perhaps depend on offset.

How nicely such a tyre size would handle with whatever offset is required, I know not. What I do know is that there is a very good short list of tyres in this size (roughly comparable to the Conti PC5).

Mind you, if you are wheel fettling, having your rims modified to 5.5 width (with whatever minor offset change is required to clear things if necessary) is a less dramatic option which would allow 195/65-15 Conti PC5 to be fitted.

cheers! Peter

A request: when you do finally decide on some tyres & have run them for a bit (including some experimentation in the wet), please post a report

cheers! Peter

I have the 5 speed gearbox worked out engine should be ready soon so when its together with the tyres I will give a report thanks for your interest.
Marty