Peugeot 403 update

petermelb

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
a friend has bought a 403 and want to update the engine and gearbox to a later engine with a 4 speed floor change box.

Can someone suggest a suitable donor combination that doesnt require too much modification.

Not looking at turbo or v6 !

Nardi floor shifter for the C-2 or C-3 box is a good mod. They're rare though.

Re-engining it with a Toyota or something else would be a shame. It should be possible to get 80 HP from a modified 403 engine, I would have thought, and that would be enough.

a friend has bought a 403 and want to update the engine and gearbox to a later engine with a 4 speed floor change box.

Can someone suggest a suitable donor combination that doesnt require too much modification.

At one stage (many moons ago) I toyed with the idea of Datsun 1600 or Datsun 180B SSS engine gearbox combination.

However the perennial torque tube adaption issues stopped anything actually happening.

These day these donor vehicles are almost as rare as the 403 and in demand for restorers.

I'd look at a Volvo B23 4cyl if you're after something cheap, were available with carbs so no emissions hassles, are readily available and there are kits to fit a single rail 4 speed if you don't want to use the 4 speed Volvo box. There's also a 4 speed volvo box with electronic overdrive that is readily available

The torque tube adaption issue is the ultimate stopper when considering anything other than Peugeot parts. My suggestion would be to spend a few hundred dollars on getting the original shift working as it should - replace bearings in gear box top cover and sorting the linkage issues. A properly adjusted original shifter works brilliantly - a flick through movement to go from 1st to 2nd , similar for 2 to 3rd , and same for top back to 3rd - and 3rd back to 2nd. The other movements are a little more complex than the flick through motion but not overly so. Finally , tune/modify the engine to give a little more power .

Actually Bob's has now been completed beautifully, tested and ready to go and is for sale for a sensible, affordable,:banana: negotiable price. Why not enquire?

Hi Peter,

I am currently looking for a 403 engine to put in my 203. Would your friend be looking to offload his 403 engine by ant chance? (currently based in Sydney)