Peugeot 403 ENGINE - WAVE WASHERS?/Belts

James Gelido

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi guys.

In the final stages of rebuilding motor and got a few questions;

Engineer requested '4 BIG END wave washers and 4 nuts', problem is, I have no idea what this is!

Tried to call him a few times but couldn't get through, kind of anxious to know what he meant, also searched the parts manual and couldn't find anything resembling this, does anyone have any idea?

Also, in regards to belts for engine, is there a generic belt I can buy or do I have to source specific and where could I source these from?

any informations would be great! :)

James

There is a useful explanation of wave washers here

Thanks for that!

Yep, I know what a wave washer is, just have no idea where they are in regards to the big end of 403 engine crank. Also looked at manual and found nothing that resembles a 'wave washer'. Am I wrong or do they in fact exist on the 403 motor?

Star washers are more common. I wouldn't get bitter and twisted about washer type. Blue loctite is your friend here.
There are chains to drive the camshaft, not belts. Then there are fanbelts for alternator and water pump.

Star washers are more common. I wouldn't get bitter and twisted about washer type. Blue loctite is your friend here.
There are chains to drive the camshaft, not belts. Then there are fanbelts for alternator and water pump.

I thought so! I took apart a big end the other day and saw no such animal as wave washers, only star washers. Engineer seems unnecessarily pedantic. In regards to belts for fan and alternator, where could I find this?

Thanks,

James

Hey James, Image shows the type of lock washer that was the go back then, the wave type washer thrown in just for comparison. As Luthier said, no big deal on either type, the main trick is not to overtighten the cap bolts. 35lbs/sq.ft. or 4.25-4.75 M/Kg. is the max. I haven't got one of these bolt/nuts handy at the sec, but I'm pretty sure they are 1.25 pitch thread ? The rod bolts are more the worry, in terms of possibly being overtightened previously and stretched a fracko.

Perfect! Thanks so much for the info. Always a great help mate :)

As an aside, there is an official Peugeot manual, which looks like a 403 parts manual, that tells you the exact size of every nut and bolt on a 403. I don't know whose copy I saw except that it was decades ago.

404s and onward use no washers at all, that's the way I would go.

Only one belt, could be wide or narrow and length will depend on what pulleys are fitted.

As an aside, there is an official Peugeot manual, which looks like a 403 parts manual, that tells you the exact size of every nut and bolt on a 403. I don't know whose copy I saw except that it was decades ago.
Interesting!