Peugeot 403/203 alternator conversion - sev marchal volvo

James Gelido

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi Everyone,

This could be useful to anyone wanting to convert their old 203 or 403 generator to a modern alternator. As mentioned in previous posts, a Volvo Series 1 alternator will line up correctly and bolt straight on.

A bit hard to come across genuine ones, but, I was lucky enough to find a SEV MARCHAL alternator that was reconditioned and what appears to have an internal regulator (could be wrong). After some research, I found this particular alternator was used in the old VOLVO Penta Boat motors: https://ockelbo.plars.org/articles/alternator/

This is my first time doing it, and I'm not sure if I have the connections done properly, but, as per photos I have run the following;

1. B+ POLE - DIRECT TO BATTERY
2. D- POLE - GROUND
3. DF POLE - REAR OF ODOMETRE ON AMPERAGE GAUGE OUTOUT POLE (AS PER OLD GENERATOR SET UP) - INPUT POLE on amperage gauge then goes back into a fuse box that I installed, which flows from the batterys positive terminal.
4. Blank Pole to right of DF Pole (regulator), I looped to first Pole on the right which was on alternator as per this photo;

https://www.google.com/search?q=vol...ECAsQAw&biw=1440&bih=637#imgrc=FvZ_JwugrRbOZM

5. 61 - Indicator/ Exciter wire - ? Not too sure where to connect this and if necessary.

After I attached these poles, I was getting a reading of 12.5V, then when I turned on the lights, its would drop to 12.2. A properly functioning alternator should measure nothing below 13V. I also had the car at about 2000rpm.

I am thinking this could have something to do with the excite wire or something else I have missed in wiring.

Hope to hear some stuff who have done this type of conversion before.

Cheers boys and I hope everyone is keeping safe during these times :)

James

Alternator Compare.jpg
Alternator 2.jpg
Alternator 1.jpg
Alternator fuse.jpg
View attachment 1704040pdf.pdf

Last edited:
AFAIK there was a relationship between Penta and Peugeot - Indenor diesels at least - probably the start of engine sharing. Once thought i recognised pushrods as '03 - how far it went is intriguing ... ancillary and internal compatibility/availability, mounting points, etc.

Would be interesting to get further info on this. .... wiring diagrams for Penta motor are available, I have stumbled across some.

Hi James.

I'd definitely make some kind of heat shield. IMO the exhaust manifold will "cook" the alternator. :)

cheers

AFAIK there was a relationship between Penta and Peugeot - Indenor diesels at least - probably the start of engine sharing. Once thought i recognised pushrods as '03 - how far it went is intriguing ... ancillary and internal compatibility/availability, mounting points, etc.

Indenor was a Peugeot subsidiary. The old Peugeot factory at Lille that the Germans occupied during WW1. Never used for car production again. Became CLM making diesel engines in the late 1920's, then C.G.M and in the mid 1950's Indenor. They produced diesel engines under licence from Ricardo and supplied to a number of makers as well as making Peugeot components like lever arm shock absorbers. Possibly Citroen equity in the plant.

Anything as to design of the engine in the 403 and D4A? Was it in-house by then? I'll try to find my Penta refs ...

Subject to COVID travel restrictions I hope to get to my boat this weekend that has a Volvo Penta inboard. I also have on board the wiring diagram. Trouble is I am yet to work out how going the half hour to the ship can fit within the restrictions. It looks like they will be seriously policed this Easter !!

Untitled.pngnot much to go on but a 1975 manual for penta MD21A Indenor XDP shows a strangely familiar pump ...

Subject to COVID travel restrictions I hope to get to my boat this weekend that has a Volvo Penta inboard. I also have on board the wiring diagram. Trouble is I am yet to work out how going the half hour to the ship can fit within the restrictions. It looks like they will be seriously policed this Easter !!

Hey Steve,

According to the Government Gazette, fishing is listed as a from of 'exercise'. Could be a good excuse to get the boat out, hehe. Enjoy mate :wink2:

Indenor produced marine diesels, some quite large.
Indenor was part of the Peugeot group and was set up in 1956. It had a plant at Lille that produced diesel engines as well as water pumps, transmission shafts and gearbox components and a plant at Bart that produced shock absorbers.

Success! Currently charging at 13.15 volts. I've attached a diagram for anyone looking to do the Generator - Alternator conversion themselves. NOTE ** SEV MARCHAL SPECIFIC.

Hope it helps :)

92354676_510834012923705_49792771338272768_n.jpg
92875563_570384943888694_8605397891604807680_n.jpg

The 203 and 403 genny didn't have big output but it was ok and better with the later 403's with the narrow pulley. They could take driving lamps but not too many. The system was reliable when it wasn't interfered with. The regulator was matched to the generator. Old ones that everyone had repaired could be bad. Easy to repair but modern sparkies aren't bothered.

Later 404 ones were better, 23 amps instead of 16! They were designed to run at higher RPM so would charge at idle which was one of the advantages of an alternator. Alternator would be much cheaper to make. I still have a gen in my 404, puts out near to 15 volts with a new regulator.

l put a subaru alternator on my Peugeot 203 van back in the late 80’s, worked with no problems, had to cut & file the alternator to get it to line up & l put a double pulley on to get more length so it all lined up...

Attachments

• DSCN0238_Fotor.jpg
    DSCN0238_Fotor.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN0239_Fotor.jpg
    DSCN0239_Fotor.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN0240_Fotor.jpg
    DSCN0240_Fotor.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN0237.jpg
    DSCN0237.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 107
l put a subaru alternator on my Peugeot 203 van back in the late 80’s, worked with no problems, had to cut & file the alternator to get it to line up & l put a double pulley on to get more length so it all lined up...

Thats awesome!