Peugeot 308GTI270 race car build: Frogstomp Racing

Better gear shift than a 206 which I normally race. Have tracked a DS3 with the same gearshift and haven’t had any issues, so no changes planned at the moment.

This is a really interesting build. Very keen to hear your thoughts once it's on track.

A lot of journos liked the 270 but always said the gear shift was vague and couldn't be rushed. Are you planning on changing the linkages or anything in the shifting mechanism? Or is it actually ok and the press is full of it?
Journos carried on about the small steering wheel also (which is brilliant). Gear shift is fine when rushing. The throw is a bit longer than some other cars, but it’s not notchy at all and is very precise when hustling (well ours are anyway).

Journos carried on about the small steering wheel also (which is brilliant). Gear shift is fine when rushing. The throw is a bit longer than some other cars, but it’s not notchy at all and is very precise when hustling (well ours are anyway).
Hmm, I'd love one but they are rare on the used market on not quite at my budget level yet so any drive knowledge is purely anecdotal! I have driven a base level 308 and loved the small wheel.

Have a 208 GTI 30th Anniv model which has the same 6spd gearbox (with different ratios I'm sure). The throw is a little long stock but we fitted the 4H short shift linkage (https://www.short-shifters.com/p-shift-short-shifter.html) and it tightens things up considerably - a very worthwhile and quick upgrade.

There is also a guide on the 3DMS FB page on how to very simply modify the stock shift linkage with tools I'm sure you have at your disposal there - https://www.facebook.com/3dmsuk

P.S - Small steering wheel is a minor adjustment but great afterwards. Everything else feels like a bus steering wheel now

Last edited:
This is a really interesting build. Very keen to hear your thoughts once it's on track.

A lot of journos liked the 270 but always said the gear shift was vague and couldn't be rushed. Are you planning on changing the linkages or anything in the shifting mechanism? Or is it actually ok and the press is full of it?
It's not too bad and after getting used to it, a shortshifter works really well.

P.S - Small steering wheel is a minor adjustment but great afterwards. Everything else feels like a bus steering wheel now
You should drive my Alfa Giulietta - has a bus steering wheel even if you're not used to Peugeots!

Back from caging
IMG_1383.jpeg

IMG_1382.jpeg

IMG_1381.jpeg

Trial fit of 18x8 wheel as 3E and 3J control tyres don't have 19" option
IMG_1415.jpeg

Bought a K&N filter but it had an itgb already
IMG_1394.jpeg

Started spraying the cage
IMG_1418.jpeg

Battery change requires the eco to be removed. Not the most effective design work
IMG_1386.jpeg

Looking good.

I love the "floppy" ill-fitted pop rivetted-on seal on the turbo control shaft on these motors! Could you imagine a Jap car being finished off like this? (n)

Windscreen back on
IMG_1452.jpeg
IMG_1483.jpeg

Kill switch will be mounted on battery hold down
IMG_1449.jpeg

Drivers front jacking pont was bent so the two front ones will be reinforced with some flatbar I had floating. Bolted and welded.
IMG_1489.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good Brett. Can’t wait to see how it stacks up to the opposition.
Where will you be weight wise?

I have bought a set of corner weight scales but haven't got the car on them yet. Will let you know once the heavy audio modules are back in the dash that allow the heater to work for demisting, otherwise the computer says No! Hoping to pull part of the rear loom out but that may be wishful thinking given the electrical fault warnings to return to the dealer I got taking the car for caging.

Geez, almost worth the cost of a chassis rewire if separating various systems proves to be so complicated.
Is a TCR wiring loom possible?

I was going to buy a Cartek GT but they were out of stock, so had to dig deeper for the XR. Glad I did. It’s brilliant bit of gear.

TCR run a different ECU there for loom won't match up.
Budget won't stretch to rewiring(or Motec) at the moment.
Tuner believes he can do a good job on the existing ECU.

A few updates
stereo, seat etc back in
Centre console still to be massaged

IMG_1577.jpeg

rain light on and fired to fog lights
IMG_1658.jpeg

Kill switch wired with loop to ECU power via fuse position
IMG_1675 (1).jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1514 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1514 (1).jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 92