Peugeot 308GTI270 race car build: Frogstomp Racing

Brett

Fellow Frogger
Hi, we have been watching TCR and looking at the 308 Racing Cup(Cheaper TCR option) on the Mikadoracing.com with a plan to save and buy one, but an accident damaged 308GTi came up for auction which was only in Brisbane(We are in Adelaide) not half he world away. We bought the car online a month ago without seeing it in person.
While waiting for the car to arrive we sourced a replacement alloy control arm via Ebay as there were none in Australia. We only receiving the car from Brisbane last week. The other replacement parts we have been able to source locally since receiving it are, a head light, quarter panel, PF door and subframe which was bent at he rear control arm mount. The door and quarter panel are ready to pick up from painting tomorrow.
A couple of bonuses were found. The car has aftermarket front suspension which appears to be MCA Golds, and aftermarket discs and tophats have already been fitted which will make disc changes much cheaper.
Caging as been booked and which will mean the internal strip out will need to be pushed along.

We are looking to compete in the 3E Production rounds a the Shannon's Nationals initially, with a possible Bathurst 6 hour and than IPRA 3J class conversion.
IMG_1107.jpeg
IMG_1106.jpeg
64B8382E-A59F-41BE-B488-F215F143D3A1.jpeg
IMG_1096.jpeg
IMG_1095.jpeg
IMG_1094.jpeg
IMG_1154.jpeg

Yes, looking like MCA Gold, going by the adjustable platform, King's Springs?

There is no visible printing on the springs. Will be calling MCA to find out specs as it's unlikely they have sold many.
New and old control arms.
IMG_1166.jpeg

We Met Murray Coote (MCA) at a Wakefield at the 300k enduro. He is a peugeot nut like the rest of us. Very clever person to talk to.

Murray makes these by hand, he should remember building them if they are his. Springs on mine have Kings Springs stamped on them.

Post the specs of the springs and I'll calculate for you.
ie
OD
wire Ø
number of active coils
free length

Post the specs of the springs and I'll calculate for you.
ie
OD
wire Ø
number of active coils
free length
I’ll check on the weekend but MCA said they were supplied as 300lb springs

More progress stripping the car for caging next week.
Interior will be for sale.
IMG_1227.jpeg

Rear door stripped. We are thinking of removing door release handle and fitting aluminium panel, possibly wrapped in fabric to ride over central bulge.
IMG_1191.jpeg

Bent control arm mount on replaced subframe
IMG_1171.jpeg

Last edited:
Look at all that wiring! Assume that’s the amp for the stereo on the rear LHS. Wasn’t sure where that was.

Look at all that wiring! Assume that’s the amp for the stereo on the rear LHS. Wasn’t sure where that was.
Not much at all really , multiplexing reduces the physical wires. Hate to have to fix faults though, the Xsara VTS is multiplexed, if it starts to give trouble I may get rid of it.

Nice work! Will be very fast thats for sure!

I’ve been told Aaron Cameron is also prepping one. Any confirmation ?

My understanding is he has a car and is still evaluating outright competitiveness prior to committing to a full build. He is an up and coming driver and needs to be competitive. Whereas I’m a never was, but looking to have some midfield fun.

Yep, impressed by his ability.
I’m arranging a visit to GRM with Barry Rogers for the PCCV to view the TCR 308’s between rounds July/Aug.

Race seat in. Spacer required to replace timber packers to get suitable height

IMG_1271.jpeg

White dashboard mount behind dashboard clashes with preferred front roll cage leg. to go behind it the foot of the leg would not have a flat surface to mount to so front leg will approximately go through a/c vent through the dashboard

IMG_1274.jpeg

This is a really interesting build. Very keen to hear your thoughts once it's on track.

A lot of journos liked the 270 but always said the gear shift was vague and couldn't be rushed. Are you planning on changing the linkages or anything in the shifting mechanism? Or is it actually ok and the press is full of it?