Peugeot 308 high pressure fuel pump

tchoupi19

Tadpole
Hi everyone

First of all thank you so very much in advance for your time and any help and opinion i could get from your wealth of knowledge.

Im a newbie on car and our first family car : 2011 Peugeot 308 Turbo touring petrol auto 1.6 engine

purchased used from a reputable dealer in Feb this year. I’ll try to be concise with a background of the service we’ve done perhaps they might be related.

Main issue at the moment:
Engine light is on, car is shaking, engine sounded very loud and took 5-10 min to shutdown, power loss, struggle to reach the right temp, mech’ diagnostic says it’s showing low on the high pressure fuel pump and replacement is $1300 (genuine part) and all up is about $1600.

Main Question:
1. Is that a normal price?
2. What’s the likelihood that it is a fuel pump issue? And we wont be coming back for something else the week after

Background:
Since Feb 2017
Car is thirsty of engine oil, top up with Total 5w30 when required roughly every 300km

March
Battery changed

April
Full service to a reputable mechanic (recommended from and worshipped in this forum, we’re in inner Sydney) oil flushed, new spark plugs

Sept
Finished the 5L oil

Early Nov
6mo service, oil flushed with 5w40 this time.

Nov 3weeks after svc
Put in the power maxx nanotech as directed by mech.
2days later Engine light is on, off to mech, $500 later, engine coils replaced (4th cylinder busted)

Dec week 1
Engine light on, power loss at 50k/h bout 2500, diagnosed as low on HPFP, reset, drove fine

Dec week 2
Engine light on, symptoms above, advised to change HPFP for 1600$. Should i go with it?

Thank you for any input you can give.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Hello,

Yep, we had ours replaced earlier this year, was initially diagnosed as bad ignition coils but didn't solve the running, hard starting or engine light issue. Price is around correct I think we paid around $1700 for it.

Sadly we have had so many ongoing issues with this car it's almost time to move it along! The latest is the turbo is leaking oil from the return line after only being replaced mid last year!

Good luck

When you bought the car in Feb and noticed straight away that it was using a lot of oil, did you mention that to the dealer ? I haven't had to topup the oil in a car sump between oil changes for over 20 years - cars these days just don't use oil. It's a pollution issue for the atmosphere, and a clogging issue for the cat or DPF. When you say you're topping up the oil every 300km's - is this after checking the level on the dipstick on level ground, when the engine has been stopped for more than 10 mins ?

Battery replacement is an ongoing issue with all cars. They are a wear and tear item.

If the mechanic is in the Carlton area I would absolutely go with his diagnosis on the fuel pump. That's not to say that the symptoms don't lead to something else - modern engines are complicated, but he would know the best place to start.

If you're not happy with the price you pretty much need to be able to do the work yourself.

Cheers

Justin

The first question anyone should ask is whether you are using 95 or better fuel.

This is one of the more informative summaries of EP6 issues:
https://www.etuners.gr/peugeot-citroen-thp-engine-maintenance-servicing-101/

I expect the correct pump can be had for rather less, but as an OEM part, not in a PSA box.

Loss of power with this engine can also be due to carbon deposits in the inlet tracts and valves. It's in the nature of direct injection engines and you should consider using a head cleaning spray (e.g Subaru) as part of the regular servicing to manage it.

HP pumps are half that price in UK and Europe. Try to locate an aftermarket part.

I would strongly advise not to be using 5w40 this engine requires a low ash C2 oil currently PSA are developing a new 5w30 so you should be using Total 0w30 it is the ONLY oil recommended by PSA for this engine. For the hp pump that’s about the right price fitted.

[FONT=&quot]Hi All, thank you so much for your reply and reassurance. Apologies for not giving updates. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]N5GTi6, im sorry i should be clearer. The first oil top up was just before 3mo warranty is up and we didn’t realise it was going to be an ongoing issue. The screen would show oil needs topping up and yes we checked the dipstick when the car’s been stopped for at least 10min. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]David S, we’ve been told to use 98 and only fill it up at Caltex (mostly), Mobil and BP (and not to go to Shell)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So just an update, whilst mech changed the pump, he discovered oil sludge, meaning the oil wasnt flushed during service at the dealer by previous owner or cheap/incorrect oil was used. (Logbook had regular stamps from a Peugeot svc).

Fast forward 7 months later, at 80k km we didnt have much problem except needing to top up oil which we did about 0.5L every 3weeks /400km and just about to service it again. 2 weeks ago before the 'top up oil' warning message appeared, the engine started to rattle, lost power and towed to mechanic. The morning it gets towed that warning message (but no other) appeared. We were told that the diagnostic showed low pressure oil, there's no oil in the engine and along with turbo charger, they had been damaged, and after pouring 4L there's still no oil. He recommends engine rebuild but i need to take/do it somewhere else.

Here are my thoughts:
1. Wreck it to a wrecking company or off part it ourselves?
2. Seek second opinion from other mechanic? and try to rebuild the engine. Car was bought for $12800. Engine recondition + other parts (God knows what) + labour probably somewhere along 5-8k? Carsales has another 2011 Pug 308 wagon for around $9K (not that we're going to buy this car ever again)
3. What are my chances taking it up to Fair Trading for services that hadn't been done properly resulting in oil sludge down the track?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated..

[/FONT]

I'm still a little perplexed by this whole episode. You bought it from a reputable dealer in Feb '17 and noticed immediately that it was using excessive oil. Did you approach the dealer with the issues you noticed ? I'm not sure if you have any come back on the dealer at this stage if you never reported the issues in the first place. You said 'Since Feb 2017 Car is thirsty of engine oil, top up with Total 5w30 when required roughly every 300km - How often was that ? That would be about a week for me.....but then you say 'The first oil top up was just before 3mo warranty is up' which possibly means you only did 300km in 3 months ?

Did you only ever topup the oil when the 'top up oil' error message came up on the dash ? If the engine was run without oil it is certainly destroyed.

In my experience it's not really worth getting an engine reconditioned that is that far gone. Every moving surface within an engine requires oil to lubricate it and if the engine has been run without oil every surface within the engine will be destroyed. Especially if it's been done on a repeated basis.

The best bet at this stage would be to source an identical model engine from a dismantler and get it installed. Any mechanic should be able to remove and replace an engine without too much trouble.

Cheers

Justin

N5GTi6,
thanks for your reply, here's the history
18/2/17 at 68000km purchased
23/3 69000 top up oil lights on, contacted dealer, brought to his mech and they added about 1L oil and said to keep an eye on it
21/4 69383 serviced to an independent mech (oil flushed, but sludge wasnt discovered then), said car is good (as in not a lemon car - trusted him & hoping oil issue doesnt continue)
5/6 70181 top up oil lights on again, added 0.5L
12/6 70643 top up oil lights on again, added 0.5L and so on average 3weeks/400km or so

Hi tchoupi19 :)
Without looking too closely I would be doing some jumping up and down with any and every agency I could find.

I would ask Fair Trading for advice on what your options are. I would consult with the NRMA if you are a member, and get a technical assesment of your car problems. What is the standard warranty a motor dealer must offer ?? What is covered. Unfit for expected duty springs to my mind using oil at that rate.
You should have done something much earlier but that is done now and you need to find how to get redress. Any reputable dealer would have some better outcome so I doubt your assesment of them being reptuable. Sounds like they were flogging off a lemon that they traded from someone.
You must write a definitive statement, accurately detailing with date and kms every interaction and resultant action on your car since it was purchased. Receipts and reports added also. Use this in all your discussions.
good luck Jaahn