Peugeot 308 1.6 Battery Fault

308Pug

Tadpole
Have an intermittent issue with " Battery Charge or electrical supply faulty " appearing. Aircon switches off when this appears Have replaced alternator and battery is new. Voltage is 14.0 when running. Basic ECU scanner shows no faults. Any ideas ?

Fusebox is aka the engine slave or BSM. It has relays in it, which are encapsulated by sealant. Eventual failure of a relay is a fairly common problem, so you may need to consider replacing the engine slave unit if you can't find a fault anywhere else. It's not VIN-coded as is the case with some other components. A/C switching off could be because there is a problem with the relay that supplies it or because another problem is causing the vehicle to go into a downgrade mode and disable certain features like A/C and Cruise.

Fusebox is aka the engine slave or BSM. It has relays in it, which are encapsulated by sealant. Eventual failure of a relay is a fairly common problem, so you may need to consider replacing the engine slave unit if you can't find a fault anywhere else. It's not VIN-coded as is the case with some other components. A/C switching off could be because there is a problem with the relay that supplies it or because another problem is causing the vehicle to go into a downgrade mode and disable certain features like A/C and Cruise.

Checked the fuses on top of battery and in fuse/relay box beside it. Took for test drive without Aircon and fault displayed after about 100 metres, stopped restarted and turned on aircon and drove for about 5k's - everything was perfect. Will check relays - the intermittency is driving me nuts.

Checked the fuses on top of battery and in fuse/relay box beside it. Took for test drive without Aircon and fault displayed after about 100 metres, stopped restarted and turned on aircon and drove for about 5k's - everything was perfect. Will check relays - the intermittency is driving me nuts.

Measured 2 day. battery with ignition off 11.7v !. Got back RACV back for test "Replace Battery". Went for a 20k run with new battery, tested on return 13.9v and 12.5v. Will monitor and hope for the best.

Measured 2 day. battery with ignition off 11.7v !. Got back RACV back for test "Replace Battery". Went for a 20k run with new battery, tested on return 13.9v and 12.5v. Will monitor and hope for the best.

Hi 308Pug. Not quite clear on the states in which you measured the 13.9V and 12.5V battery voltages. I assume idling and engine stopped respectively?

11.7V is low and for a vehicle that is being regularly driven, it can't be ascribed to needing a charge; assuming your charging circuits are functioning correctly.

I recall from the 307HDi we had that the engine management systems don't like low battery voltages.

I hope the replacement battery resolves your intermittent problems. I have certainly had my share of these with 307's.

Hi 308Pug. Not quite clear on the states in which you measured the 13.9V and 12.5V battery voltages. I assume idling and engine stopped respectively?

11.7V is low and for a vehicle that is being regularly driven, it can't be ascribed to needing a charge; assuming your charging circuits are functioning correctly.

I recall from the 307HDi we had that the engine management systems don't like low battery voltages.

I hope the replacement battery resolves your intermittent problems. I have certainly had my share of these with 307's.

Thanks Whippet.
Unfortunuately after a couple of days the problem has returned. Battery voltage dropped to 11.80 again. Measured voltage with engine running 13.90 , measured voltage with fault appearing and engine running drops to 13.0 volts. Turn engine off/on , fault disappears and voltage returns to to 13.90. Reset BSI - made no change. It is evident that the BSI/module intermittently drops charge from alternator to battery. Will try resetting BSI, have done a bit of research and faults with these are common.

Thanks Whippet.
Unfortunuately after a couple of days the problem has returned. Battery voltage dropped to 11.80 again. Measured voltage with engine running 13.90 , measured voltage with fault appearing and engine running drops to 13.0 volts. Turn engine off/on , fault disappears and voltage returns to to 13.90. Reset BSI - made no change. It is evident that the BSI/module intermittently drops charge from alternator to battery. Will try resetting BSI, have done a bit of research and faults with these are common.

My understanding is that Alternator charges battery directly, not through BSI. So, if I am right, the question is, what tool are you using to measure the alternator voltage both when Engine is off and running? If it's scan tool you are using, use DMM (Digital MultiMeter instead) directly on the battery. If DMM shows less than 12v while engine is running on battery, then problem should be the alternator. If it shows over 13v while getting low battery warning sign with Engine running and showing less than 12v on scan tool, then problem is likely from something else.

Unless BSI unit or another part determines when alternator charges or stop charging.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk

My understanding is that Alternator charges battery directly, not through BSI. So, if I am right, the question is, what tool are you using to measure the alternator voltage both when Engine is off and running? If it's scan tool you are using, use DMM (Digital MultiMeter instead) directly on the battery. If DMM shows less than 12v while engine is running on battery, then problem should be the alternator. If it shows over 13v while getting low battery warning sign with Engine running and showing less than 12v on scan tool, then problem is likely from something else.

Unless BSI unit or another part determines when alternator charges or stop charging.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk

Have already replaced the alternator , I have been using a Multi Meter. There is a PWM cable from Alternator that sends a signal that eventually gets to the ECU. After the voltage drop testing I have conducted cannot see how the alternator could charge battery directly. Have also had an electrician conduct amp test to ensure nothing is drawing on battery when ignition is off.