Peugeot 307 stiff clutch action - ideas?

Stuey

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi guys,

I'm guiding my daughter's friend through a first car purchase and he's looking at a later big mouth version (2006) 307 2 litre petrol which apparently has a stiff clutch pedal action (I haven't seen the car yet). The car's done around 115,000km.

Any ideas what this might be? He described it as having a heavy action and not smooth to depress; almost juddery, so I suspect the thrust bearing and hence it needs a clutch I reckon. No one wants to have a 'new' car repaired but I think the owner is open on price so this may not be fatal to a purchase.

It's also blowing warm air on the driver's side when the aircon is on cold (fine on the passenger side). Do these have side to side dual zone climate control? Could it possibly be this easy?! Or is this more likely possibly a flap issue?

Cheers

Stuey

Last edited:
I have a repair kit for the flaps if you want

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

15 bucks plus post

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

The clutch is probably the release bearing sleeve

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Plenty of others in the sea that aren't faulty.

Why a PUG? Get something reliable, Honda perhaps?

Aussie Frogs is littered with French Disasters

Yeah Honda 🤦

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Where do people get the idea that Japanese makes are disaster-free? Have they never owned any? Just wait until your Subie valve lifters block up, or your ports need cleaning.

It's as silly a myth as "French electrics" (usually the work of Herr Bosch).

Where do people get the idea that Japanese makes are disaster-free? Have they never owned any? Just wait until your Subie valve lifters block up, or your ports need cleaning.

Talking Hondas here

CR-V? Accord? My pockets aren't deep enough.

Seriously, despite journalists' twaddle Frogs aren't worse than anyting else, and are cheaper than many to fix.

It's as silly a myth as "French electrics" (usually the work of Herr Bosch).

Ever had a R25, this had no electrics that worked, dashboard, voice, stereo, you name it it failed every day

French cars are for quirky enthusiasts, not for Daughter's Friends.
Get a Peugeot ruin a friendship

That's getting just a bit cheeky bud. I'm not choosing the car, nor am I paying for it. I am involved only to the extent of advising on any issues and the likely cost. And that would be the case if it was a Corolla, too.

Last edited:
That's getting just a bit cheeky bud. I'm not choosing the car, nor am I paying for it. I am involved only to the extent of advising on any issues and the likely cost.

Very sensible - you are in exactly the right space Stuey. I don't care what the statistics say, if you get a well-looked after S/H car it can be pretty good value. And, regardless of make and statistics, as my old Latvian mechanic used to say "John, secondhand cars are buying someone else's troubles". I reckon one of the key questions is "why are you selling it?".

If the person you are helping wants to buy a fridge, there are plenty out there. :)

Best Christmas wishes of course.

Ever had a R25, this had no electrics that worked, dashboard, voice, stereo, you name it it failed every day

Yeah and stay away from those model t fords as well the spark wires were so unreliable

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE