Peugeot 307 HDi - 2006/2007

melon

Fellow Frogger
Hey Guys,

So, I've had an issue with the pug starting recently. The cause has been the starter fuse on the engine bay fuse box blowing.

Found it replaced it with what was there (20A fuse). It has however blown 3 more times.

Had a quick look at infotec public service box for their manual and fuse panel diagrams as I dont have the original manual supplied with the car.

Now I'm confused, they list 307's as supplied from 01/10/2005 - 31/05/2006 or 01/03/2007 - 30/09/2007.

The two manuals list different required amperages for the starter circuit 2005-2006 list it as 20A fuse. The 2007 manual lists it as a 25A fuse.

My car was manufactured 09/2006 and compliance plate is 02/2007. I'm guessing it is the latter? requiring a 25A fuse?

Probably should go through the whole car now making sure all the right fuses are in the right place :D

What do you guys think? Could it be a different problem causing the fuse to blow? Starter motor failing? It was fine all this time with the 20A fuse in that spot

There was a tsb to replace the 20a fuse 8 (from memory)with a 25a in the 2l diesels and V6 407s but over the years I’ve found once they start blowing you end up doing a starter one thing to remember an auto one will fit in a manual but not the other way around if your looking for second hand so getting a later 308 one is more likely with low ks

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

The purpose of fuses is usually to protect the wiring and devices on the load side of the fuse. On the grounds that the main power windings in your starter motor would draw considerably more than 20A, it surely follows that the blowing fuse is not being affected by a wearing starter motor, so therefore the likely culprit is an issue in the wiring to the relay and/or solenoid on the starter. Obviously, if it is a short to earth it is most likely to be in a section of wiring that rubs or presses against some metal. If regularly driven in a dusty environment the contact wear will be enhanced. How long does the fuse last ? Does it start easily ? (if the overload is minimal the common fuse takes a while to succumb to the heat) I'd be inclined to measure the current flow of the fuse during start up as a beginning.

I ended up putting in a 25A fuse in there.

It never has happened. First occurrence was Sunday night this week. Found out it was the started or fuse 8 swapped it. Car started first go. Was fine until Wednesday night. It blew again but blew 2 in the space of an hour.

I was hoping it wasn't a sign that the started could be damaged. Or need replacing. It's so far in there. Taking it out is such a nightmare haha. I'll keep in mind to get an auto starter motor.

I'll test the current draw tonight. Do you think it could be the fuse box itself? I might have swapped it out when trying to determine my initial Gremlins and why the car wouldnt start ages ago. This morning first go and leaving work first go. On the way out after work I heard clicks seemed to be from fuse box and starter. Perhaps the solenoid is rooted?

It’s not the fuse box
Get the car hot then let it sit for 10 min try it then you can do a starter in 30mins they are easy it is a 2l .

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

melon, first guess at a clicking sound is a relay, but if you're in the car with engine running it would have to be something more substantial. If you think it is the starter solenoid then something unusual must be giving it power, such as the relay out on a frolic of its own or a wiring fault. You should be able to feel the 'clunk' in the solenoid at the moment of powering. Your record of blowing fuses tends to indicate that the issue is an intermittent one, and therefore not easy to find. So perhaps best to remember that "the harder you work the luckier you get."

It’s the starter a lot fail

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

The valeo ones are the that go the ones that blow the fuse ‘the solenoid draws way to much current when the are heat soaked especially , upwards of 50amps you can just get the solenoid switch assembly but getting a good (beefier) 308 auto starter second hand is cheaper they tend to last about 160 to 180k just when your doing a t belt and additive bag and if your really lucky a dpf on a older manual. This problem can be hidden for years if the car is driven from cold all the time.

Now some of these have a different problem that the car will start and get random miss fires they sound like they are starting at a ok speed but they are actually about half speed will kick but the fuel pressure just hits the required value thus the misses these are caused by mega resistance in the solenoid switch contacts this also is a issue with the V6 2.7 motors .
Didn’t want to go that deep but there you go.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Thanks very much for going that deep. As an electrician with a bit of Kettering era post trade training I like to get to be able to understand just what is going on. If there is a chance of you procuring 1 or 2 scrap bin units I can easily detour your way next time I go to Sydney. Testing and dismantling a couple to see just what goes wrong will keep me out of her hair for a while. Then everyone happy.

Sure don’t do many now but will let you know

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Hey guys,

@dmccurtayne. Spot on. Car starts fine when she's cold. As soon as it's warmed up if I turn or try to turn it back on. Blows a million fuses which I'm sure it is draining 50 A or something.

On the weekend. Tried to start it again it completely failed and wouldn't even blow the fuses so definitely a starter issue. Guess what...it's a valeo haha.

Also I am pretty sure I had replaced this not too long ago. So pretty bummed it failed so soon. But then again the pug was sitting idle for a while. Went to wreckers and got one and remembered that from previous experience and from here that some won't fit. Pretty sure he gave me one from a manual car and said they all should be fine. Should've trusted my gut. Learned the hard way had to return it and order another valeo. Managed to snag one at a good price from a newer car, another valeo.

Until the next issue arises... Haha

Your input was very accurate haha thanks for your help guys

Hi melon, if possible can you hang on to the dud valeo please. There is a good chance I'll be up Bris way within 2 weeks and I'd like to be able to pull one apart. Will PM you in a week to let you know how my plans are gelling. Thanks, cheers.

Hey,

Yeah no dramas. Just PM me. It's all yours. I have no need for it once i swap it out tomorrow.

Kelpie, you'll have to post some pics once it's apart if you see something interesting causing the increased resistance.