Peugeot 307 - fuel smell in the cabin

New thermostat in and the car is now getting nice and hot as it should be. Temps around town are now around 85- 95. The charcoal canister is now being activated (can place finger over the inlet vent and feel it sucking).

dare i say problem solved.... for now

New thermostat in and the car is now getting nice and hot as it should be. Temps around town are now around 85- 95. The charcoal canister is now being activated (can place finger over the inlet vent and feel it sucking).

dare i say problem solved.... for now

Since your engine is EW10A, what type of new thermostart did you put? The piloted one or mechanical one?

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

received_700591940473812.jpegreceived_700591940473812.jpegInked20200324_151431_LI.jpg

Ikenna351 - these should help you out

Yes it did. It's mechanical thermostat, not
the stock piloted thermostat for your engine.

I understand that Peugeot recommended this mechanical thermostat (1338 A0) in replacement of the piloted one (1338 E4). However, you were meant to also buy blanking plug for the 2-wire connector that goes to piloted thermostat. So, does it mean you have done the conversion before now and blanked off that socket before, since you only bought & mounted the mechanical thermostat alone? Or did you leave the piloted thermostat connector unconnected (connector is in yellow colour)?

Reason why I am asking is because when most EW10A/RFJ users convert or switch to the 1338 A0 thermostat without that blank plug, their engines start overheating, because the fans refuse to spin or spins only on low speed (no high speed, even with AC).

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

thanks Stuey.

So an interesting update!

The Charcoal Canister is working when the car gets warm! Up around 90 degrees C on the temperature gauge. When the car gets that hot and i feel the little vent on the bottom of the canister there is suction. The only reason i found out is i left the car idling on a really hot day and finally it ticked up to about 90 degrees.

Upon driving and more tests the car doesn't get hot! well not to 90 degrees. Usually my car doesn't get above about 80 or so, so what is the reason. I spoke with a Peugeot mechanic and he said the cars should run between 85 to 100.

If my car isnt usually getting this hot, the ECU is not telling the charcoal canister to open the purge valve which directs the fuel vapour to the manifold. So the excess vapour just end up coming out the vent at bottom of canister (where air sucks in when purging).

So my next step - replace the thermostat! I just need to find the right one

cheers
We have a 307cc with the fuel in the cabin problem for many years. We have replaced the original thermostat with Mahle thermostat from Repco with an 89°C rating on it and the problem is fixed. The temp gauge reads 90 all the time when previously it was 70. All fixed.
The old OEM thermostat was not marked with temperature rating and I reckon its a ring in from the factory.