Peugeot 307 AL4 gearbox problems

Disco

Tadpole
Tadpole
My daughter has a 2006 307 hatch with 1.6 petrol engine. The auto trans has started playing up. It goes into limp mode and is very clunky on gear changes. From what I have found out the 2 pressure solenoids are probably shot. I’ve have ordered 2 new solenoids. I also need to source the 2 x o-rings (p/n 221916) that go behind the valve body. Can anyone recommend a good parts supplier in Sydney or alternatively a repairer who will do the work without me needing to sell a kidney? Also how do I go about ditching the heat exchanger and just running an air to air cooler?

Any dealer would be able to supply the o-rings and then you get the correct part.
In Sydney, many people will look to EAI and Dapco when going outside the dealer network for parts. There are a few local outfits selling parts via eBay too.
Depending on your location in Sydney, Colliers and PQ Automotive are often mentioned as possible Pug/Citroen workshops plus some mobile guys. There will be others.
There have been discussions about fitting a larger cooler to the AL4, so search the forum. Changing the type of cooler is making work for yourself. Be ware that simply replacing the pressure modulation electrovalves is not a guarantee of fixing it. You'd usually hope to see a pressure regulation fault logged and pointing you in that direction. There is a current thread in the Citroen forum on this gearbox in C4 that you might like to read through. A bad brake switch can cause you grief too as it does more than just turn on the brake lights.
Has it been through any large puddles in the wet weather recently? If it has taken in a little water, you could try a couple of hot oil changes.

Thanks Dimi & David. Last time I tried Dapco I got the royal ‘brush off’. They said they only sold to people in the motor trade. Anyway I have 2 genuine solenoids coming from Melbourne. I found ‘Continental Cars’ in Punchbowl had the necessary 221916 o-rings. He also had the solenoids! I have work travel for the next 3 weeks. So right after that I’m planning to get into the valve body and replace the pressure solenoids. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks Dimi & David. Last time I tried Dapco I got the royal ‘brush off’. They said they only sold to people in the motor trade. Anyway I have 2 genuine solenoids coming from Melbourne. I found ‘Continental Cars’ in Punchbowl had the necessary 221916 o-rings. He also had the solenoids! I have work travel for the next 3 weeks. So right after that I’m planning to get into the valve body and replace the pressure solenoids. I will let you know how I get on.
From Perth in Xantia days, Continentals were my savour. Always had what the local dealer said were NLA.

Just wanted to let everyone know the gearbox issues seem to have been resolved. Due to work commitments I ended up having the work done by John Brown (Revive My Lion). John confirmed the transmission was logging solenoid pressure fault codes. So, the 2 old solenoids were replaced and transmission fluid changed. Today (about 3 months since the initial work) I got him back again for another trans fluid change. The car is driving nicely now.