Peugeot 307 2lt cambelt change , crank cog loose?

Berridale

Fellow Frogger
Just doing a cam belt service on a P307 2 litre.

I was expecting it to the same as a 206 GTI but it is not.
Removed the harmonic balancer and find the cam sprocket not located by a key-way!
Once i loosened the bolt the gear slipped on the shaft

*Is it possible the dealer put the sprocket on the wrong way?
TDC is found how.
Presume the key-way is vertical to the bore?

Not sure what they have done because the harmonic balancer doesn't come apart like the GTI so you can do the crank bolt up, then put the belt on.
With this harmonic balancer you put the belt on , then cover and tighten the bolt and hope the crank doesn't turn?

Is this right?
If it is the Renault friction taper system is better.

Do you have access to service.citroen? You'll find the technique in the Carnet/Handbook for the engine as in the Xsara/Berlingo.

No don't have service .citroen.
Is it in the same way as the Renault 2lt engine.
Does what i have found seem normal.

Where is the crank locking hole?
Is it a friction/torque system , keyless sprocket?

Cant see the ex cam locking hole either?
Marked everything with paint.

206Gti has a crank flange where you put a 8mm pin to set the crank position, is the 307 a different system and crank?

Last edited:
Is it an RFN motor - I can't remember the code - here is a page from the handbook
Screenshot-2.jpg

When you take the crank sprocket off there is provision for a key, very short.. it is missing
or did they not put it in at the factory?
The key that is on the crank locks the harmonic balancer, there is no taper i notice on the crankshaft to lock the belt sprocket.

Seasick,
thanks .
It is that engine, with that fiddly crank lock at the rear of the engine.

Last edited:
I like first blame was at a dealer when you stuffed up you find timing point not tdc by pining the flywheel don’t try to wing it you need to pin everything correctly and don’t be confused by the balance holes on the flywheel before you say it’s peugeot being stupid it’s to get correct timing for this engine to comply with pollution laws let me know if you want to borrow the tool to pin it up

No different ecu etc some 206s had this as well the sandwich action is what drives the cams don’t try to put it back together until pined u will bend valves how did you undo the crank bolt risk of bending valves if starter and breaker bar system used

In gear and and pegged the slots in the disc rotors.
Bolt wasn't particularly tight.

Got your PM but not the previous note,
"Yeah as I said timing on all these later motors is done at all cylinders flat did you see the half moon and the balance holes for future ref what I always do is line up cams then look for the flywheel pin hole".

Does this mean all the piston tops are at the same elevation?
Noticed when i did find the piston elevation exactly level it didn't correspond exactly to to the flywheel hole.
I used the crank hole to pin the crank.
Sorted this out, car running well.

Last edited: