Peugeot 306 XSi XU10J4R cam belt tension

blahblah

Fellow Frogger
Hi All,

I’ve changed the cam belt, seals and water pump on the 306 and it is fitted with a manual tensioner. Strangely it also has the later single piece cam pulleys that according to Haynes go with a hydraulic tensioner.

Anyway, it’s all gone well but not having a tension measuring tool, I’ve worked on the principle that a quarter twist is about right for tension - can anyone confirm? This is the twist - it may be a bit tight. I think the old belt could twist slightly further.
Picture of belt twist - engine removed for clarity [emoji23] and to change the clutch, do the crank seal etc. Original clutch at 225k km...and water pump - 2000 manufacture date.

014228efe2fbd6f06ab2321359617d31.jpg

01296d5be4973b9fec774d2f0b4e04ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't that tab you have the locking pin in rotate? Giving adjustment of timing?

I set the tension on our BX16Valves which use a similar layout so that on the loosest section of belt, if you twang it you only get a very low frequency vibration that damps out quickly. Don't do it so tight that it sounds like a guitar string.

Cheers, Ken

45 deg maximum twist on the longest run works for me.

Doesn't that tab you have the locking pin in rotate? Giving adjustment of timing?

No, it’s fixed - apparently the earlier version had 3 bolts and slots to allow for adjustment with the manual tensioner.

Chris, the tabs on the cam allow for fine adjustment, they can move independently of the cam wheel locked to the cam itself.

I set my inlet forward by half a tooth and it pepped up and whilst he ecu learnt a bit it had a slight rasp at he exhaust.

Thank you [mention]PeterT [/mention]and [mention]Matthew [/mention]- my bad, see what you mean having a fresh look at it!

Here is a view from the back. Many XU10J4R's were fitted with adjustable pulleys. There was one at the wreckers recently I walked past. Someone had already removed one pulley. My '97 306 had fixed pulleys however.

Attachments

• XU10J4RS pulley.JPG
    XU10J4RS pulley.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 280