Peugeot 306 XSi (2000 manual)- won't start...

blahblah

Fellow Frogger
Hello,

I fitted some new rear shock absorbers to the 306 - I drove it off the car ramps and into the garage.

Turned off the engine. Went to start it a less than a minute later (car shuffling) and it won't start!

Ignition lights come on, but it won't turn over.

Makes all the usual noises when turning on ignition. (can hear pump pressurise the fuel system then stop - like normal)

Go to start and nothing (ignition lights go off - pretty sure that's normal too).

The checks so far:
Battery voltage good - and no huge voltage drop under load ( maybe 0.5v) when I go to start it.
Cleaned battery terminals
Battery newish - 'green' charge indicator
Used other car to jump start in case battery was the issue - same symptoms

No blown fuses that I can find.

So, I'm wondering if it's an immobiliser issue? Lost it's marbles while I did the rear shocks. Does the immobiliser kill the ignition (i.e the engine turns over) or stop the car turning over?

Only have one key if that makes a difference. Left keys in ignition but in off position. Only mention this in case some weird stuff happens if you do it!

Any other suggestions??

Cheers,

Chris

See if you can roll start it. If it runs then you've just isolated the issue to the starter systems. While running you can also briefly flick the ignition as if trying to start it, to see if the starter is engaging at all. I would think that a 0.5V drop when trying to start indicates the starter isn't going because it should draw more than that.

Thank you both for the replies - will check the starter. No solenoid click absolutely nothing...

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Run a jumper wire from the battery to the solenoid and see if it clicks the starter?
Then you know which end to start from.

I checked and there's about 11v to the solenoid. Not brilliant! I remembered the old 'tap the starter solenoid with a bit of broom handle' trick - and it started :) broom handle is in the boot in case/when/if/it reoccurs.

There are new but unbranded starters on eBay for under $200...

Well at least you know where the problem lies now. I'd park on hills where possible though, just in case :D

:)

Stuey - Are you here all week? Dinner and a show? :)

The starter doesn't like the cold - had to use the broomstick this morning... much to my wife's amusement!

I checked and there's about 11v to the solenoid. Not brilliant! I remembered the old 'tap the starter solenoid with a bit of broom handle' trick - and it started :) broom handle is in the boot in case/when/if/it reoccurs.

There are new but unbranded starters on eBay for under $200...

Er...but if there is only 11v going through, why would you need to buy another starter ? It will still receive low voltage. Surely this car is a candidate for fitment of a starter relay ?

Thanks for the suggestion - I think I need to pull the starter out and have a look - the 11v was using a voltmeter probe on the grubby solenoid terminal. Difficult to get a good contact/pressure through the gap in between the branches of the inlet manifold.
While the starter is working I'll recheck the voltage - in case I've got a wiring issue elsewhere.

A relay would be simple enough to fit and I could redo the wiring to the solenoid to make sure...

Cheers,

Chris

Relay, it will save your key barrel. Its easy all the wires are there, signal from key to relay swich input, 12V from battery to power relay and to normally open contact, lower side of coil to earth (block common to starter solenoid were signal was..Not sure on the silly numbers they give automotive relays but I could try and find them. Intake off for ease of install of course.

Last edited:
I thought I’d update this - I fitted a relay which has improved things.

Here’s a high quality wiring diagram ;-) to show how I fitted it...

300d728c3af2d51a953ad2b6ab211e67.jpg

And here’s the location of the relay (right hand relay) - others are for 100w spots that replace the fog lights.

2c4cd02ba24ffb2147559177d33b3b44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk