Peugeot 306 stater motor options

blahblah

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

I’m looking to replace the starter in my daughters 306 XSi manual - the solenoid is sticky when it’s cold. I thought I’d fixed it by cleaning the solenoid which had dried/very sticky grease in it and greasing with a touch of copper anti seize grease.

Anyway, looking at eBay, the starter motors for anything 205/405/306/406 etc diesel or petrol engines (above 1.8L) all look the same. Is this a correct assumption?

Most but not all are the same. Just check the offset/position of the solenoid.

You can get new solenoids on the bay, undo and replace, as well as new bushes for the motor itself, clean out dust and crap, clean commutator = nearly new starter and cheaper and a better option as all that's left to go wrong is the magnets letting go!

Thanks all for the tips/suggestions. I went with what turned out to be a refurbished 205/405 1.9 Valeo starter from EAI which fitted fine and was identical to what came out. If it had been my daily driver I would have had a crack at fixing it but I don’t want my daughter stuck somewhere. She was getting tired of tapping the solenoid with a bit of broom handle each time it stuck 😁.
Removing the air filter housing and throttle body gave plenty of space to work and it was less painful than expected.

Get some bits and renew it, its only a matter of time