Peugeot 306 Engine/Gearbox Swap

matara

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Just assessing the viability of this. we have a 2001 5 door 306 Rallye with the 2.0 16v engine and an AL4 auto box. I also have a 2002 306 cabrio same engine but with a manual gearbox. Ideally was going to do a manual conversion on the Rallye, but since the cabrio has scrubbed up ok, was thinking of doing a complete engine/gearbox swap between the 2 cars, Rallye becomes manual, cabrio becomes auto.

I was wondering if I could disconnect the whole engine/gearbox/subframe etc as a complete unit, jack up the body and swap the 2 around. I would have to change/modify the subframe for the gear linkage anyway, so thinking can I minimise what I need to undo, and get the whole drivetrain out as one?

Both cars are registered and going, and I have the space to have both in the garage and do the swap.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Steve
cabrio.jpeg
rallye.jpeg

If it was me doing this yep just complete subframe engine and box swap just one thing to be aware of the immobiliser ecu or the bsi controls your locking and I would be looking into the wiring and configuring of these this is what will cause you grief.

Just go get a manual box from a wreckers plenty of them around. Pity to ruin the cab with the AL4, they play up. This way you avoid everything David has rightly highlighted. It can be done you will need Clutch assembly, gear lever, linkages and of course plastic trim, the cars are made fairly similar and can be modified. Fitting clutch and gearbox easier done out of car. Fit a new clutch plate and you will be doing less work,

My daughter who is on her P's is only licensed for an auto, this is part of the reason for the swap. 306 manuals in fact 306's in general are rare as in wrecking yards these days I harvested some parts from the Dapto wreckers 306 sedan but it was a diesel manual and not sure if the box/gearing would be suitable for a 2.0 petrol.

Saying that I didn't quite fancy pulling the engine/box out of the car in a wrecking yard, but upon checking with them, they are no longer self-service (ah well that was the last self service yard I knew of in NSW gone!) and all the self-service cars have been crushed!

The diesel gearbox might be an ML and not BE. You'd need to confirm. If so, all the linkages would differ too. If BE, it would fit but the ratios would be too long. Adrian Wuillemin might have a solution, with either a rebuild or an another gearbox.

I'd try RPV at Acadia for the linkages, pedal, etc.

306 diesels were still BE gearboxes. Different ratios though, although it would work. You wouldn't want to use the diesel flywheel though, way too heavy.

I had a look at the microfiche. The 306 diesel turbo is definitely a BE3. Here's some other interesting facts:

XUD9TE
cwp 19 x 77 = 4.05:1
5th 47 x 31 = 0.658:1
overall 5th 2.66:1

XU10J4R
cwp 19 x 72 = 3.78:1
5th 43 x 37 = 0.86:1
overall 5th 3.25:1

I'd grab the diesel box just for the cwp.

Last edited:
Copied from a 306 manual, perhaps it is useful

306BV.png

It's one of the tables in the gearbox section, which covers diesel and petrol models in the TU (MA) and XU (BE3) families.

It goes up to XU10J4RS.

Last edited:
throw the slugomatic to the tip where it belongs ... and just put a proper gearbox into the one that is currently a slugomatic :) much less work!

Here's what I dug up for the XU10J4R. It's very similar overall to an Mi16 or S16 gearbox, if you can't find one identical. Here some info on my website:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 4.44.12 pm.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 4.44.12 pm.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 26
Also the final 5 th gear from the diesel box, fits any Be3 and gives low revs on the highway. Time for daughter to learn a manual, wont do her any harm, Which reminds me to do this to the convertible I have.

That XU10J4R is the same as the French one above.