Peugeot 306 cabriolet 2001 model wont start

Matthew, you were correct, a new CAS fixed the issue. I couldnt believe it when it started, however there is a new problem.
The car wort turn off. We let the engine run for a bit, as the car hasnt run for 2 years and went to turn the key off and it kept going. Even with the key out it still ran.
I pulled the power leads to the coil packs to stop the engine and also disconnected the battery in case the fuel pump was still going.
Its very odd?

To explain a few of the symptoms;
When the car is running, the indicators dont work, but the hazzards do.
When I pulled the power to stop the engine, the indicators worked as they should.
Also, the battery light is on the dash, so I suspect the alternator isnt charging so ill have to test that. The battery is new.

Any idea why this is doing this?
Thanks very much for your help. Im pleased to have to cur running at least.

I had a thought. We changes the fuel pump relay.
Perhaps there is nothing wrong with the old one, as it never had this issue of not turning off.
Perhaps the new relay isnt correct. Ill change it back this evening and see what happens.
It may be the reason for all these other issues.

I had a thought. We changes the fuel pump relay.
Perhaps there is nothing wrong with the old one, as it never had this issue of not turning off.
Perhaps the new relay isnt correct. Ill change it back this evening and see what happens.
It may be the reason for all these other issues.
I would strongly suggest a starter relay, easy to do in these / any cars. Back emf from starter arcs over key contacts this could be causing your issue, Investigate alternator. Like you and I they aren't getting any younger. Guessing CAS was faulty was easy after you said you had fuel, air is a given there is only one thing left.

BY all means change the fuel pump relay back possibly your problem, although no indicators is odd. Although this gives it away pulled out key, I suspect the key barrel is shot carbon on contacts allowing things to run.

1. Fuel Relay back to original and test
2. Fix alternator and test
3. Make other decisions,.

2 years that's one hell of a parking fee!

Last edited:
The car is fixed, it was the wrong relay.
He bought another but its the wrong one, there is nothing wrong with the old one.
That relay does more than fuel. When I looked at the wiring diagram on the Haynes book, it seems to send signals to the ECU.
Perhaps being the wrong relay, it was blocking signals.
We took the car for a short drive last night and all is good. Put air in the tyres and came back.

I will do a service on it next, oil and filters.

Matthew, thank you for your advice. I would never have thought of the CAS. Thats all it was in the end.