Peugeot 208 gti might get one need advice....

gezza

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Guys and girls debating a 208 gti, but worried about the old issues with abs modules and timing chains etc... have these been sorted? And has anyone jumped in one from say. A 207 gti? If so how do they compare?

one I am looking at is a 2014 with 50k and 1 lady owner from new

Any help advice would be much appreciated

Hey mate ok
207 had problems with abs modules not had any issues with 208
The chains on the 200hp and above models don’t really fail like the lesser power turbo ones the tensioners do come loose and leak oil but again not a big issue
Also carbon clogging isn’t really an issue on these motors
208 gti problems to look for are coils coolant leaks and the high pressure fuel pumps
But again most fail under warranty so if it’s been dealer serviced or at least we’ll looked after

Hello Gezza, I have just done the same thing, gone from a 2008my 207GT (not GTi) to a 2014 208 GTi. One male owner from new, and 55k km. I have to be careful what I say as the vendor is on this forum. You know who you are............

I would say to do it, and I will tell you why for. I don't know about ABS modules, but they had sorted the timing chain issue by then. That is the biggest difference between the French and the Japanese. The froggies took at least 6 years to sort it out, and the Japanese would have taken about 6 minutes.

The 208 is a far more tractable car to drive. It is happy to just plod around. Everything is lighter, but with more feel - the steering, the gear change, the pedals. Even the seats.

Interior I felt was a bit smaller, because it is not as bulbous or rounded as the 207. Also the 207 had a grey ceiling, and the 208 is black. The windscreen is, or feels, not as high, so there is slight reduction in outlook. Combined with the dark trim, gives a slight sense of being boxed in. But my wife prefers that interior, and it is her car.

There are no grab handles, which I miss. The whole car weights well less than the 207, and is measurably far more economical. However, depending on the tyres, and the road surface, this can less mass can lead to a bit of drumminess in the rear.

The i-cockpit never bothers us. Can see perfectly well over the steering wheel. Has both analog and digital speedos, which if you aks me, should be legislated.

The screen is relatively simple, but intuitive. Scrolling between trip meter and satnav and radio, even for the first time, is all fairly easy, although it does help if you RTFM.

The suspension is a zillion % better. The 207 was like a go kart, I needed more frequent trips to the dentist to check for dislodged teeth. The 208 is far more comfortable, a bit quieter I think, more compliant, but stiff when it needs to be. No comment on that one.

Brakes are stunning. Whilst the tyre sizes are the same (205/45 - 17), I don't know if the discs are any bigger, but the calipers are red. This means, in anyone's language, that they stop better, and will just about pop your eyeballs out of their sockets.

The power curve was more obvious on the 207. The 207 pulled like a 15yo boy. The 208 is initially "adequate", and the difference between the 150hp and the 200hp is not all that noticeable without giving it some wellie. Then is does some stunts that the 207 never did, like lifting the front so much that the steering just about disappears. This, I hasten to add, is quite fun.

Later models are dearer, but with more power (208hp!) and as the last of the 3-door, may become collectable.

Cheers for that cracking write up too!

Considering the same Gezza - had the 207 GTI which is was a fun car and crazy bang for buck given what they're worth used. The 208 GTis are now becoming equally great value.

If you're looking at this one https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/the-vines/cars-vans-utes/peugeot-208-gti/1187958968 I'd grab it. If it was on the East Coast I certainly already would have. Based on your car history it won't last long if you do buy it so I'll buy it off you afterwards and enjoy the drive home ... or if you wanted to sell the Ph1 Clio to free up garage space I'd help with that too !

Let us know how you go