Peugeot 206 gti 180

leigh8695

Tadpole
Chasing up the following info please regarding a 206 gti 180.
1. How to change a timing belt etc. Any hints, special tools needed, procedure,time, etc.
2. Any mods that work. ie,Camber tops, lsd, exhaust, shocks.- Being built mainly for dirt action.
3. Where do i find bits for this thing to make it perform better?
Thanks

Graham knows motor sport.

The EW10J4 motor is common to other Peugeots and Citroens, and the belt change instructions for these cars' engines will also apply.

Going by my experience with 16 valve engines a low diff is by far the best thing you can do. My 309 Rally car has a 4.8 and my Citroen Xsara VTS has a 5.1. Haven't had a chance to use the VTS yet due to Covid but the 309 was transformed. One diff from Pug1 Off the other from Italy.

I have pdf versions of most PSA manuals, both English and French (these are almost always better), but I don't yet know of a way to post them in our new software. Page images aren't as good.

All are now hidden behind service.citroen and Peugeot service box websites. Join up as an independent mechanic, and you can gain access. Most info is behind a paywalI.

I think the Citroen Mechanics Handbooks (Carnets de Poche) are still free for mechanics, in which case look up the C4 model of that era, eg 2004. The EW10J4 engine has code RFN. Those letters will be in your VIN at position 6.

English Haynes manuals and French RTA manuals have been published for most of the models with the engine.

Do not undo the crank pulley without pegging both crankshaft and camshafts.

I have pdf versions of most PSA manuals, both English and French (these are almost always better), but I don't yet know of a way to post them in our new software. Page images aren't as good.

All are now hidden behind service.citroen and Peugeot service box websites. Join up as an independent mechanic, and you can gain access. Most info is behind a paywalI.

I think the Citroen Mechanics Handbooks (Carnets de Poche) are still free for mechanics, in which case look up the C4 model of that era, eg 2004. The EW10J4 engine has code RFN. Those letters will be in your VIN at position 6.

English Haynes manuals and French RTA manuals have been published for most of the models with the engine.

Do not undo the crank pulley without pegging both crankshaft and camshafts.
Do cam and crank Not have keyways?

What/ whose suspension do you use Graham?
MCA Gold on the 309 as it is sometimes used in outback style events, so need the best.
VTS is stock and no plans to change it. My 205 which is used for low level competition on dirt is stock except for Koni Sport on the rear.
Can't see why you would need to change a 180 (already has performance suspension set up by the Peugeot factory) except maybe if it is found to sitting too low. Some underbody protection would probably be a better way to go rather than muck up the geometry by changing the height. I've gone from 55 to 60 profile tyres on the VTS.

You will lose timing. Page from Citroen C4 Mechanics' Handbook 2004, RFN engine-
c4-rfn.png

I was more concerned with the different timing positions for the cams than the RFN.

Yes, the 307 Sport and 307 CC Sport also had this engine, but both would be quite rare, I guess.

Here is a current link to the C4 mech handbook which contains the RFK timing and accessory belt change pages similar to seasink's RFN pages. It's a 10meg pdf. I agree, paying for the current info via ServiceBox would be better.

My error, sorry. The RFK engine is also in the same 2004 Cit C4 Handbook. It covers all C4 engine flavours at that time. RFK is also called EW10J4S in that document.

You could consider getting a copy from the Citroen site - I am not sure if this section is paywalled. . The Handbooks (carnets) are data summaries for mechanics, not complete how-tos for owners.

Screenshot at 2020-06-28 13-30-24.png

Last edited:
Graham,
"Can't see why you would need to change a 180 (already has performance suspension set up by the Peugeot factory) except maybe if it is found to sitting too low."

As mentioned , i also can't see why you would change anything randomly.
It is not as if the car isn't excellent already!
Pretty sure most drivers can't get the best out of a GTI 180, better ability than those who sit in them.
We are on a dirt road and i was stunned at how good the GTI 180 was when i brought it home, your really going to struggle to get
a 2WD car this good.
Surprisingly well thought out .
My one came with a worked engine and any more power would spoil the car.
Intend it for hill climbs.

Last edited:
Thank you. Very helpful. Looks like cam belt has slipped, stretched and lost timing. Maybe valves aren't bent. Presume i won't know until I get a replacement belt on it, i suppose.

these rfk engines also suffer from valve spring breakage. seem quite a few. Best to buy parts and tools local. Timing belts very cheap from several good Peugeot Citroën suppliers inc eai and Dapco.

no point guessing or using a crystal ball. Do the basics. U need to check belt and if it’s on, set timing and if timing doesn’t line up there is an issue. If it does id be checking compression or valve spring condition or both. and or doing a cylinder leak down test.

Ps good secondhand motors are best if valves damaged as cost around $500. Just change belt kit n water pump n rear main while out n install. Much cheaper than top end rebuild even when using aftermarket parts. Done a few last 6 months.