Peugeot 205 GTi Tolman Edition - hot-hatch restomod perfection

Lovely thing, Interesting LCD screen dash replica, but 45 large (and pounds too!)

TFT dash.jpg

I do love that screen, fantastic re-creation of the dials.

I would love to get hold of a 205 shell again at some point for a restomod. Though I'll probably go with a different engine than the old 8v. Fun though they were, the XU10J4's are just much more fun.

I watched this, and lusted after it! Maybe I'm lazy, but looking at the quality of the end product I don't think the price is too high. Imagine the time, effort and cost in doing it yourself and finding all the right suppliers!

I'd like to see a GTi6 done by them. Although I'd add in a little subtle structural strengthening.

That is my kind of restomod. I agree with lowpug though. A little bit of strength added to the chassis in a very discreet (and the lightest possible) way would be great. I noticed they didn't even add a strut bar which in my opinion is necessary.

Yeah I know way too well how weak those A pillars are...
Doesn't sound like you found out in a nice way?

I reckon this is a massive oversight on most Resto mods of this level. I know you couldn't properly engineer modern levels of structural strength but a little extra bracing, some gussets and some high strength steel in the A pillars and doors would be an improvement.

I think you can properly engineer anything cost notwithstanding. Look at what the Bad Obsession Motorsport boys have done with their mini. With the 205GTI I imagine you would need to slice the pillars (all of them) and put some reinforcing inside then close them up like nothing happened. Or replace the inner skins with heavier gauge metal. There are options.