Peugeot 203 RUBBERS SOS

James Gelido

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for Quarter Vent Rubbers and window seals for my 203.

I managed to make do with some rubbers from Clark Rubber for the door seals but I didn't find anything suitable for quarter vents or window seals. My Dad suggested silicon for the outer window seals then using a scalpel or razor to seperate the silicone seal from the window. This is what he had done previously with his 203.

Quarter vents however, are another story. Does anyone know where I could buy the product to make them myself or buy the seals online? Also, is it a one piece flex that follows all three sides of the window like the FJ Holden or the 203 seal just follows the curved bit of the quarter window and the back seal is seperate? Have attached photos as an example if what I said was confusing.

Also, would a FJ Holden Quarter vent rubber fit or be modified?

Thanks in advance,

James

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 12.10.34 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 12.10.34 pm.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 368
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 12.11.09 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 12.11.09 pm.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 378
James,

Serie04 in France have them. Well they are out of stock now, but state will be in within 72hrs.

I have a set and they look the part, although not fitted. The Moulding/shape was good when a loose install was tried.

Exchange rate and shipping does hurt though. The service is good.

joint de déflecteur G

Cheers

Dano

James,

Serie04 in France have them. Well they are out of stock now, but state will be in within 72hrs.

I have a set and they look the part, although not fitted. The Moulding/shape was good when a loose install was tried.

Exchange rate and shipping does hurt though. The service is good.

joint de déflecteur G

Cheers

Dano

Hey Dano,

Great! Thanks for that! Stupid question, but, 99 Euro is for the pair right? It shows photos of both left and right rubbers so I assume its for both?

Thanks

James

James , another option for you - adopted by some 203 restorers - is to eliminate the vent windows , early 203's did not have them , the front door glass was a rear door glass reversed. You need an extra pair of 203 rear windows and the associated regulator (the bit you wind up with the handle) along with the tracks from an early 203. Cost wise - much cheaper than the new vent rubber proposal and with the added benefit that you won't have chatty looking vent windows and to my opinion much neater looking. Some will say - you miss out on the ventilation effect of the angled vent - but all you need to do is open the window a little lower. If you are lucky , your 203C may already have the tracks in the front doors , Mr Peugeot used some of the same doors on C models as was on the early ones.

Hey Dano,

Great! Thanks for that! Stupid question, but, 99 Euro is for the pair right? It shows photos of both left and right rubbers so I assume its for both?

Thanks

James

James,

Yes, the price is for a pair.

Cheers

Dano

James , another option for you - adopted by some 203 restorers - is to eliminate the vent windows , early 203's did not have them , the front door glass was a rear door glass reversed. You need an extra pair of 203 rear windows and the associated regulator (the bit you wind up with the handle) along with the tracks from an early 203. Cost wise - much cheaper than the new vent rubber proposal and with the added benefit that you won't have chatty looking vent windows and to my opinion much neater looking. Some will say - you miss out on the ventilation effect of the angled vent - but all you need to do is open the window a little lower. If you are lucky , your 203C may already have the tracks in the front doors , Mr Peugeot used some of the same doors on C models as was on the early ones.

Yes styling works much better without the quarter vents.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion! Interesting idea, but, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I love the styling of the quarter vents. They are reminiscent of the old Fords and Fj Holdens, not to mention the centralised breeze in your face without the draft of a whole window down and the repercussions of messing up your new hairdo, hehe. I think I will go with Danos suggestion but thanks for the reply! Legend :)

Perfect! Great site too, many more parts than Franzoise! Only downer, all is in French! haha Time to bring out the olde Google Translate!

Thanks Dano

Perfect! Great site too, many more parts than Franzoise! Only downer, all is in French! haha Time to bring out the olde Google Translate!

Thanks Dano

James,

In the top right corner of their home screen is a French flag. Click on it and other options appear. Click on the Union Jack,that should work. Also, if you are using Google chrome as your search engine, there is an option top right again , that allows you to always translate French to English. You'll find it.

Cheers,

Dano

A much cheaper alternative is to use the vent rubber kit from Spectrum Rubber. The downside is that the molding is a bit wider than the original and some cutting and sanding is involved. I've used these and consider the result about an 80 per cent job. You also need to remember that in any event the pivot spring at the bottom of the vent window will need to be removed and replaced. Refitting the pin holding the spring can only be achieved using some form of compressor. I made up a gadget from steel plates and a couple of bolts.

A much cheaper alternative is to use the vent rubber kit from Spectrum Rubber. The downside is that the molding is a bit wider than the original and some cutting and sanding is involved. I've used these and consider the result about an 80 per cent job. You also need to remember that in any event the pivot spring at the bottom of the vent window will need to be removed and replaced. Refitting the pin holding the spring can only be achieved using some form of compressor. I made up a gadget from steel plates and a couple of bolts.

Hi,

Thanks for this. May end up saving me a fortune. Do I just call up and ask for the generic 'Rubber Kit' or I need to specify a certain size?

I managed to take the quarter vent frame out quite easily. With the two pins that hold the spring, I was able to punch the top spring out with some wd40 anfd some taps of the hammer. The bottom pin, not so much luck. I had to carefully cut each side with a hacksaw and lift remove the quarter vent frame through. Will have to either drill out the remaining pin that I had to cut, or punch it out with some good old tlc

Looks like my advice is a bit out of date. Spectrum Rubber is now Old Auto Rubber (oldautorubber.com) and they now offer a range of radius bent vent rubber sections. See pages 17-18 of their catalog online. Probably best if you go and see them with the offending vent window and samples of the rubbers (including the uprights). At the same time you might like to consider replacing the setting rubber which holds the glass in its frame. They should have the necessary uncured rubber strip. CAREFULLY remove the old rubber with a broken hacksaw blade between the glass and frame. DON'T attempt to lever the glass out until all the rubber is removed from the sides of the glass - a shower of glass particles and harsh words could follow! The new uncured rubber should be dampened with kerosene to facilitate insertion of the glass.

What I meant to emphasize with the spring was not removal of the pins but the need for its compression to get the bottom one back. It's just too strong to compress without a gadget of some sort. I'll see if I can dig out the one I made and post a photo in the near future.