Peugeot 2008 - 1.2Lt - Ownership Feedback

Mrs Whippet is going on an overnight trip in the near future and wanted the “spanner” icon not displaying. So I look up the oil filter and then realised I had two Ryco Z543 sitting in the shed. Engine oil capacity is 3.2Lt, so purchase Penrite Enviro+ C3, 5W-30 conveniently in a 7Lt container size, so half now and half for the next oil change.
The best thing is that there is no under engine tray that blocks access to the filter and sump plug. The filter is very easy to access as it is adjacent to the oil pan with closed end pointing down. So I could perform the oil and filter change without even needing to raise the vehicle.
Removed the pollen filter which the dealers are so eager to want to replace and gave it a tap out. Not much stuff came out so that went back in. Checked other fluids and tyre pressures, brake pads etc. Reset the service “spanner” all finished.

The dealer wanted $469 to perform what I did in less than an hour. I retain receipts and write the odometer and date on them to verify services have been done. But the service book is not stamped. Will this reduce resale value, likely it will, but by the time we get rid of the vehicle I suspect the residual value will be very low anyway.

Last edited:
The Peugeot Australia website is pretty poor to navigate, but if you go to the Service Price Promise page and click on 2008, you will get somewhere eventually.

Service Price Promise

Once there, click on "Get the price" and you can then choose which service is due, which will give you a list of items.

Yes, most cars in the range currently have a 12mth/15,000km interval.
Thanks SLC206 very much for that information, I hadn't progressed that far on the web site as I hadn't intended to get the dealer service, but I see all of the service items are listed here: https://www.peugeot.com.au/aftersales-services/maintenance/service-price-promise/ I did the 30,000km service and now am aware that I missed the brake fluid replacement. I will do this at the 45k service.

Mrs Whippet is going on an overnight trip in the near future and wanted the “spanner” icon not displaying. So I look up the oil filter and then realised I had two Ryco Z543 sitting in the shed. Engine oil capacity is 3.2Lt, so purchase Penrite Enviro+ C3, 5W-30 conveniently in a 7Lt container size, so half now and half for the next oil change.
The best thing is that there is no under engine tray that blocks access to the filter and sump plug. The filter is very easy to access as it is adjacent to the oil pan with closed end pointing down. So I could perform the oil and filter change without even needing to raise the vehicle.
Removed the pollen filter which the dealers are so eager to want to replace and gave it a tap out. Not much stuff came out so that went back in. Checked other fluids and tyre pressures, brake pads etc. Reset the service “spanner” all finished.

The dealer wanted $469 to perform what I did in less than an hour. I retain receipts and write the odometer and date on them to verify services have been done. But the service book is not stamped. Will this reduce resale value, likely it will, but by the time we get rid of the vehicle I suspect the residual value will be very low anyway.
Keep it till 200K! ;)

Correct: 12/15,000. However these are under ideal conditions.

The fineprint in the manual also implies If you have stop/start (City) or high temp conditions (Australia) or etc etc etc you should change more frequently [to badly paraphrase the words]... I now change mine at 11-12000 depending on the phase of the moon..

Cheers

The Peugeot Australia website is pretty poor to navigate, but if you go to the Service Price Promise page and click on 2008, you will get somewhere eventually.

Service Price Promise

Once there, click on "Get the price" and you can then choose which service is due, which will give you a list of items.

Yes, most cars in the range currently have a 12mth/15,000km interval.

Hi.

So the distance driven on the regional and rural highways was 770km. After a zero of the trip meter and fuel economy meter when I filled up the fuel tank before they departed, the reported fuel consumption at the end of the trip was 5.9 L/100km. There were 4 adults on board with some luggage, so it was full for a small vehicle. This is not super low, the prior 307 2Lt HDi would have achieved in the low 5 L/100km. Considering there is 10% more heating value in diesel, the 5 L/100km would convert to 5.5 L/100 km. I did anticipate that the 1.2Lt engine would have achieved better than 5.9 L/100km.

Diesels are more efficient at getting power to the transmission than petrol engines, apart from fuel mass, both have turbos, so 5 v 5.9 sounds like a good result for the 2008.

Hi. So we are broken down in Melbourne. Engine was shaking and loosing power RACV have been and we are waiting for a tow truck. RACV diagnosed code P1337 which relates to ignition coil on number 1 cylinder. A quick Google reveals that pencil coils can even be purchased from catch of the day!
So wondering how common is the ignition coil fault on the 1.2lt power tech engine?

P1337 is actually a misfire in no, 1, nearest the transmission. It could be a plug or a coil, or rarely, an injector. The leading 1 makes it a manufacturer specific code.

I hope you aren't stuck too long, with all the disease restrictions. EAI will have a coil on Monday. You could swap coils to see if the code changes (ie to another cylinder) to confirm the diagnosis.

It's most likely a failed plug with a cracked ceramic insulator rather than a coil. Replace them as a set. The service schedule likely advises to change plugs every 30K/24months in any case. If you do take out the suspect plug, check the ceramic near the electrode hasn't broken away and fallen inside. If it has, don't start it, tow it to a dealer.

Hi. Thanks Seasink and David S for your response. The RACV mechanic used a universal code reader hence the code. I don’t have a code reader. I will purchase a replacement coil on spec, and replace the “faulty” coil. I will remove the spark plugs and check the gap and ceramic insulation. I’ve never replaced them but I suspect they will be long life maybe 100,000km. Does this engine number from transmission toward the front pulley? Ie Cyl number one closest to the transmission?

I think the spark plugs are not long life (30k/4 years) but some dealers have been known to "skip" the replacement of spark plugs, in my experience.

Whether this has anything to do with fixed price servicing is open to conjecture ;)

I don't believe the plugs are 100K 'long-life'. Before you spend money, pull the plugs and inspect them.

Hi. I have not have a chance to look at the vehicle as yet. I had ordered a pencil coil pack which should arrive in a couple of days. Seems there is some chatter on other forums about spark plugs causing missfire in this puretech turbo engine. Our 2008 has travelled approx 40,000km, we've had it from 8,000km, and AFAIK the spare plugs have never been changed. So based on other posts above, it seems that the plugs might be due for replacement. Seems they are a 14mm Hex so I will need to purchase a spark plug socket to suit.

Same issue with the plugs in some Reno F4RT engines. The plugs don't last nearly as long as Reno recommend. Both mine have needed the iridium plugs changed early because of a misfire, and it was like night and day after the change.

Cheers

Justin

Totally agree with you about the recycle setting Armadillo. Also, I can't see any design letting in a bit of fresh air - isn't the setting designed not to? After all, that's what it's about. It's no good letting in a bit of bushfire smoke. Maybe they do, but that would be annoying when you need it sealed.

Mind you, it would bleed off fart smells I guess.
Have just realised that I don't use the recycle setting.......... duh......

And the winner of the competition is David S. Next time he is in Ballarat he gets to enjoy a free ride in the 2008 with 33% of its power restored. I'm sure he is very excited about his win.

I had purchased a pencil ignition coil, and opened the packaging, and was nearly ready to fit it, when I stumbled on the cause of the misfire. Unfortunately it is not returnable. I will keep it in the car along withh a couple of the spare spark plugs in case this occurs again in the future.

I had removed all of the spark plugs, and had inspected them all and they all seemed OK. But when I turned the last plug with the electrodes pointing down I thought I saw some movement. I had forgotten to take my spectacles, so didn't have clear vision. So a second inspection holding the spark plug with the electrodes uppermost, then holding so that the electrodes were pointing down revealed the fault. The ceramic insulation had cracked radially around the electrode. This allowed the "sleeve" of the insulator to slide down and obscure the electrode gap.

Its always good to find positive evidence for the fault, so that you have confidence that the replaced component fully resolves the fault.

There was only one auto parts retailer in Ballarat that had a set of spark plugs, so a drive to collect a new set, and then fitted them. I used the original coil pack. Fortunately the coil packs and sparks plugs are very easy to access. The engine started and is now running normally again. The only thing is the engine fault code still displays at engine start up, so I will need to access an OBD2 code reader to clear the fault code in the log.

The vehicle has done 43,000km and the first spark plug replacement is scheduled in the 45,000km service.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Attachments

• Spark Plug 1.jpg
    Spark Plug 1.jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Spark Plug 2.jpg
    Spark Plug 2.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 147
And the winner of the competition is David S. Next time he is in Ballarat he gets to enjoy a free ride in the 2008 with 33% of its power restored. I'm sure he is very excited about his win.

I had purchased a pencil ignition coil, and opened the packaging, and was nearly ready to fit it, when I stumbled on the cause of the misfire. Unfortunately it is not returnable. I will keep it in the car along withh a couple of the spare spark plugs in case this occurs again in the future.

I had removed all of the spark plugs, and had inspected them all and they all seemed OK. But when I turned the last plug with the electrodes pointing down I thought I saw some movement. I had forgotten to take my spectacles, so didn't have clear vision. So a second inspection holding the spark plug with the electrodes uppermost, then holding so that the electrodes were pointing down revealed the fault. The ceramic insulation had cracked radially around the electrode. This allowed the "sleeve" of the insulator to slide down and obscure the electrode gap.

Its always good to find positive evidence for the fault, so that you have confidence that the replaced component fully resolves the fault.

There was only one auto parts retailer in Ballarat that had a set of spark plugs, so a drive to collect a new set, and then fitted them. I used the original coil pack. Fortunately the coil packs and sparks plugs are very easy to access. The engine started and is now running normally again. The only thing is the engine fault code still displays at engine start up, so I will need to access an OBD2 code reader to clear the fault code in the log.

The vehicle has done 43,000km and the first spark plug replacement is scheduled in the 45,000km service.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.
That's really interesting, I've never seen one let go like that. What brand are the OEM plugs?

That's really interesting, I've never seen one let go like that. What brand are the OEM plugs?
Hi Tom. Neither had i seen that mode of failure before- I nearly missed it.

Original: Bosch - ZR6SRPP3320
Replacement: NGK- ILZKBR7B8G 97968. These were the only set in Ballarat, so that is what I fitted.

Interesting,

The 81kW 3 cyl THP has a spark plug interval of 45k/4yrs or "arduous" conditions of 40k/4yrs.

The 96kW 3 cyl THP has a spark plug interval of 30k/4yrs - for both "normal" and "arduous" conditions.

In the past, Peugeot Australia has often set the schedule for various vehicles as "arduous" due to Australian temps, poor fuel quality and "dusty atmosphere". None of these conditions has changed (and will likely not change due to Government inaction on fuel quality).

Perhaps this should be the case again for the 81kW 3 cyl THP.