Pete's 203 Panelvan

why the boot ? for the colour?
might need to know was the van vic or nsw assembled, too ...

this might help...( car assembled)...

203U 1410477

CARRDOSSERIE PEUGEOT N
K3

TYPE 203U6
N D’ORDRE SERIE TYPE 1410477
POIDS TOTAL EN CHARGE 2000

DSCN0020.jpg

But if my reading of Russell's book is correct ( never occurred to me before ) only sedans were locally assembled - so my point is irrelevant

Last edited:
No, I didn't say that. Commercials were assembled as well but not in 1952. Commercials were often swapped between CCM and Harden & Johnston. My Melbourne 403 ute was Harden & Johnston. What was odd was the low price of the van compared to the wagon. They were a bargain.

The price difference would have been due to two factors. Firstly the lack of interior fittings and a couple of doors. Secondly, the savings on sales tax as a commercial vehicle. I do remember the sales tax dodge being applied to station wagons in the 1950s - particularly to Standard Vanguards. They were supplied to dealers as commercials with rear seats and door handles in a box for after sale fitting. I think the authorities woke up to this after a while.

In 1987 I bought a Lada Niva as a commercial van at a lower tax rate with the rear seats and belts supplied separately in a carboard box. Price saving of a couple of thousand.
Gordon Miller's sales list has a large number of 403 panel vans sold in Australia although they were really wagons. Up until 1960 the 403 wagon had commercial trim which meant plastic door handles and rather spartan seats and instrument panel. Only one sun visor. Not a good showroom car at the price.
For what you got the 203 panel van was great value. I see why so many were sold, 454 compared to 1022 wagons. Gordons list has 26 variants which may have been ambulances and hearses.

Yes, my dad's 403 wagon had those plastic door handles and it also had all three rear light functions (stop, tail and indicator) working from the same light globe.

Pete's had - where the windows weren't - nice timber battens ( made an impression as rather exotic /archaic to a young fellow brought up in Morris Minors ).
i don't think 'vans and utes ever got vent windows, did they?

Last edited:
Yes, my dad's 403 wagon had those plastic door handles and it also had all three rear light functions (stop, tail and indicator) working from the same light globe.
Sedans also had the stop/tail/indicator in one globe on either side- actually it was stop/tail with the stop acting as the flasher as required. Many cars in the 50's had this type of flasher arrangement , FE , FC Holdens in particular and American cars going into the 60's. The 1960 Falcon and FB Holden went to a dedicated flasher globe.

Sedans also had the stop/tail/indicator in one globe on either side- actually it was stop/tail with the stop acting as the flasher as required. Many cars in the 50's had this type of flasher arrangement , FE , FC Holdens in particular and American cars going into the 60's. The 1960 Falcon and FB Holden went to a dedicated flasher globe.
Oddly enough, it was the only 403 wagon I recall seeing with that arrangement and it's not difficult to see why they changed the roadworthy requirements. As I've mentioned previously in other threads, my dad was a self employed plumber and he really made it earn its keep, with almost no maintenance. A great car which was followed by a 404 wagon. Another terrific car.

My 1956 403 sedan had that arrangement. I was still using it in the mid 1980's. I was aware it wasn't showing much rear light on a turn because I used to do a right turn off a minor highway. I was always on the lookout for log trucks coming up behind. My 1958 wagon had a pair of trailer indicator lights at the rear when I bought it in 1968. In 1959 the C&G cars all had the American tail light (stamped USA) with a separate blinker light unit.

Pete's had - where the windows weren't - nice timber battens ( made an impression as rather exotic /archaic to a young fellow brought up in Morris Minors ).
i don't think 'vans and utes ever got vent windows, did they?
steve l still have the timber battens & they will be going back in the van with the original wood floor panels...

The refabrication for the bonnet hinge is gonna be a bugger … or have you a spare?

started on the back door, only two more doors left to do...

Attachments

• DSCN0037.jpg
    DSCN0037.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN0040.jpg
    DSCN0040.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 127
started on the front doors...
DSCN0044.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0045.jpg
    DSCN0045.jpg