Perth spheres of influence

Ren25

Fellow Frogger
Can any of you Perthites recommend a cit service place in Perth that would know about such things as spheres in a Xantia? SWMBO says hers is making clunking noises over bumps and I want it checked out before disaster strikes. Being our first cit I really don't know what to look for, although I do have some mechanical aptitude, I don't know what they are supposed to be like.

Spheres won't cause clunking over bumps, as spheres wear out the ride will get harder and eventually become stiff and bouncy.

Clunking will be one of the balljoints, most likely the rollbar droplink balljoints. (Which means replacing the droplink(s) )

Regards,
Simon

Yep,

though I'd even be surprised if it's the droplinks (that appears to be more of a problem in the UK ... Possibly the ball joints dry out over there and get full of salty water).

Check first for things like the exhaust banging somewhere.... You know the real simple things. The hydraulic systems very rarely (if ever) go wrong.

Highly unlikely but CHECK THE STRUT MOUNTS, IF THEY ARE PERISHED THE STRUTS WILL HEAD THROUGH THE BONNET !!! :eek: :eek:
seeya,
Shane L.

Ren25 said:
Can any of you Perthites recommend a cit service place in Perth that would know about such things as spheres in a Xantia?

Hey there Ren25, you have a few options as listed below........

Chevron Downunder in Baywater on 93710092
Bob Senn in Kalamunda on 9293 0576
Swiss Automotive Services in Mosman Park on 9384 0382
Eurocare in Victoria Park on 9355 2712
or if you have bags of money try the local dealers in Cannington or Mt Lawley who should be able to work on a Xantia's sphere's but will fleece you in the process! Best of luck :cheers: :cheers:

DoubleChevron said:
Yep,

though I'd even be surprised if it's the droplinks (that appears to be more of a problem in the UK ... Possibly the ball joints dry out over there and get full of salty water).
Perhaps....although the boots should protect them ? :confused:

I think the reason they fail so often in the UK is when they first wear out they replace them with cheap 3rd party ones that wear out prematurely :nownow:

I've seen quite a few threads on frenchcarforum where 3rd party droplinks have been clonking again within 5,000 - 10,000Km, but with genuine ones lasting a very long time...sometimes 10 times as long.

I've found slack in the lower balljoint of the left hand rollbar droplink on mine (145,000Km, 8 years old) so it'll need replacing, and I had been noticing a bit of clonking on potholes.... all of the other balljoints seem to be ok though including the bottom hub balljoints...

Regards,
Simon

Last edited: