Performance Exhaust on 19

danielsydney

Good Sport
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I have had my performance exhaust fitted at Menai Mufflers in Sydney. The guy there was fantastic. He said that on the (f3n) engine it was not possible to fit extractors due to the lack of space between the engine and the firewall. I can accept that though. My car sounds great and it goes a lot better now. The guy when he fitted it to my car said that he cut off about 3/4 mufflers that were totally slowing the engine down. He said he couldnt believe it.

At thistatge im very happy and would recommend this guy to anyone thinking about doing it, best $231 that I have spent in a long time...

[sarcasm: on]

Everyone knows that manufacturers just put these components on to rip consumers off, extra mufflers, black intake boxes etc.

[sarcasm: off]

Seriously, watch out when "reengineering" cars. It's really easy to remove "unneccessary" components and quite expensive to fix long term engine damage (due to things like fuel mixture / exhaust back pressure changes etc.)

In my experience "cheap" performance modifications always seem to lead to other problems down the line -- and by the time those problems start occuring, it's difficult to link the problem back to the cause.

I would tend to agree with Europa. On another mailing list a "high performance" chip conversion actually made the motor run lean at high revs, leading to severe engine damage. It happened a second time before the problem was traced to the modified chip. In another case, the "high performance" air filter sucked in hot air from the engine compartment actually reducing performance. The development probably being carried out on a rolling road with the bonnet open.

Beware of boofheads in "performance workshops" who think they know more than a large car company who employ large numbers of people who have extensive experience in engineering.

I will take all that advise on board but with Renaults track record on reliability Im sure it will be ok, it was not heavily modified. It was more for show quality and not too much power enhancement.

The track record for 19 Auto boxes doesn't seem much better than Renaults of old. So I would be very careful with any performance modifications. What do you mean by having a "show quality" car, do you use it for sound offs with a big stereo or what? A basic 19 is hardly a performance vehicle, just a shame they never bought the 16V to AUS.

Daniel,

Retaining the manifold is probably best anyway - it will keep the engine bay temp down, and if it IS near the firewall, things might have gotten a bit hot down there. Next thing you've got aircond. pipes bursting etc. etc. Also, the factory manifold would keep the O2 sensor in the optimum spot. Modern manifolds are pretty good anyway.

Cheers

Stuey

What you are doing to that 19 almost sounds worthy of the jacky touch site.

How much money have you spent modifying the 19 so far Daniel?

It has cost me a little bit. I had to have the Auto transmission fixed. That was ok. And this weekend will be putting bigger wheels on her too. I have already put the exhaust on as you know. I may get a sports air filter yet im not sure.

So when are you going for the big bodykit option?

Tubbed guards, slammed suspension etc. etc.

Let us all know the final cost when you have finished (assuming one DOES finish with these sorts of modifications...)

So what size wheels & tyres were finally decided on? Anything larger/lower profile/wider than the usual plus one rule is likely to alter the gearing (and speedo reading) somewhat. Even possibly raising the overall gearing to a point where it may diminish what little performance a 19 auto manages to put out, as well as increasing the stress on the auto driveline.

Seriously, why not save up for a nice RS Clio, discreet looks (which seems to be the coming trend) and more than adequate performance to surprise. I'm sure that a Renault dealer would be interested in doing a part-ex on a nice tidy 19.

Another thing, check with your insurer about the various mods that you have and may be carrying out. You don't want to void your insurance cover.

You are right. I however dont want to get a new car they are too expensive. That is not an option for me.
My insurance is also fine. As for changing the wheels, there may need to be some small adjustments to the speedo in the dash. Ill have to find somewhere in Sydney that can do it. Any ideas?
There is a lot of Renault 19's with big wheels on them overseas so I dont see why mine would not be able to handle them.

Daniel, the idea is not to increase the overall rolling diameter, hence gearing. Those overseas ones probably had 30 series tyres on 17's. 30 series tyres are probably worth about 300+ a pop.

Seriously, the advice is sound. You'll be struggling away from the lights if you go too big on diameter. But it's up to you ultimately...

Cheers

Stuey

Actually Daniel, if you are going for performance as well as looks, you might want to see if you can organise a conversion to a manual gearbox - I think you'd find the R19 would definitely be a lot quicker off the mark then!

From there, the world is your oyster, you could check out availability of 16 valve engines etc. etc.

From there, the world is your oyster, you could check out availability of 16 valve engines etc. etc. or a good shrink :)

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Hey Stuey.......

Would be happy to forward the names of appropriate mental health professionals...with all those public servants, the place her is full of shrinks...but I'm a bit concerned that if I told them I was intending to stick a sports exhaust on my 19 auto that they could well schedule me on the spot. :)

Although I do admit it's about as sensible as spending 3 and a half grand on an R18 wagon I once pulled out of a dealer's graveyard...hmmm

Go for it Daniel..you're obviously in good company at this URL :cool:

Sometimes i dont know how to take some of these messages. Some people on this forum just put others down....its quite bad.

Hmmm, Danial,

I don't think anyone is trying to put you down, the biggest concern is you'll fry the auto-box if you manage to suck to much power out of the motor. We all know how much auto's cost to re-build :(

There's all sort on these lists, poeple that only like newer cars, poeple that love there old Fuegos & R12's. Everyone has differing opinions. If you decide to add a turbo to your 19 or something really silly like htat :p :p There'll be heaps of poeple here to help you :D There'll also be lots of poeple telling you your gearbox will last a day tops & don't do it :rolleyes: . Bottom line?? Do what you want to do :cool:

seeya,
Shane L.
PS: Was driving my sisters R19 hatch around last night, very nice little car...

The Renault 19 is a great little car. I think much better in some ways than the newer ones. I dont think I would touch a scenic. I think people on this forum think Im a little rev head. That is not the case at all.
I only ever wanted to put a sports exhaust air filter and bigger wheels on it. Thats it. Im nearly there and then ill be worried about other little things, there is plenty to ask about.

Lighten up Daniel...you're obviously no crazier than the rest of us here :)

Originally posted by danielsydney:
<strong>Sometimes i dont know how to take some of these messages. Some people on this forum just put others down....its quite bad.</strong><hr></blockquote>