performance enhancements of a peugeot 504 saloon

tankana23

Tadpole
Hi guys

I am new to this site. I have the said car that I need to modernize so that it turns into a daily driver.

I want to upgrade the 1.8 liter engine to have a decent gain in horse power. I was thinking a high performance cold air intake, performance exhaust and fitting of a fuel injection system. if there is a straight six engine with bhp in the 200s i can also consider it as an option.

I also want to swap the gear box for a suitable 5 speed or a six speed if possible.

I also want to upgrade the braking system. I would like to fit disc brakes at the rear.

I also want upgrades in suspension to improve handling.

I also want to fit power steering, power windows, central locking, decent stereo and a functioning air conditioner.

Can you please advise me on which of these options are possible and which can be done. I would be grad to know if there are any companies that can manufacture these custom parts so that I do the fitting myself.

thank you.

Relax Sunshine - it's 1:00 am over here and everyone's asleep. You might start to get some interest in 7 hours or so :).

I thought April Fool jokes were supposed to be before midday or they didn't count?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it is not a joke. i apologise if it seamed so. i really want to get any possible information that can enhance this vehicle.

I know the wish list is a farcry from reality but surely some body has attempted. i need that no how

kkkk. no it's not a joke. I really wanna know what can be done with this thing. I know that the wish list is ambitious, but there has to be something that comes close in reality.Lol

The easiest and best upgrade for a 504 is to swap in a 505 2.2L motor and 5 speed gearbox,
Do you has a chance of getting a damaged , but running 505?

A good 505 would have all the bits you want for an upgrade to brake , suspension , central lock etc.

I agree with Rally. If you really want to go ahead with this, it would be best to buy an old 505 which has : Central locking, better suspension, power windows, power steering. But you will have to find one with independent rear suspension in order to get the rear disc brakes from it. Your car has what they call a "live" rear end, as many African models do, and I'm not sure if there are any independent rear suspension models over there, apart from the many cars now in Egypt which were imported as secondhand from Australia.

In fact, to fit rear discs, you will have to swap over the entire rear suspension, including rear sub-frame.
The Series 1 rear sub frame will swap over into a 504 but you'd have to check if the Series 2 will also. I'm only guessing that it will.

It's a very, VERY ambitious project. Have you been drinking or getting high on drugs ?:cool: You did post this late at night....

My advice to you is : don't attempt it. Be realistic and just enjoy the car as it is. Which of all these things do you want the most ? If it's air-con, just fit that.

Rear drum brakes work perfectly well. You may be descending into "Peugeot-mania"....as many of us have in the past. I myself did once, but in those days there were many 504s being sent to the wreckers and parts were very easy to find.

Last edited:
If the 504 doesn't please you as it is, buy a more modern car with all the goodies that you seem to need. You could easily spend that amount of money on modifying a 504 as you suggest.

OR,
94861d1490508671-any-info-img_0698.jpg

V6 (Peugeot 605 (or Volvo)) engine and auto gearbox!

OR,

Fit a nice little Turbo. The starting point would be to turn/fit your exhaust engine manifold through 180 degrees and bolt the turbo on top!

Good Luck. :)

G'day mate.

I have done all if the things you mentioned to my 504. It has a 505 2.2 litre engine + 5 speed gearbox, power steering and suspension upgrades including springs and sway bars. All of these upgrades used 505 parts.

It also has central locking and air conditioning. I used an aftermarket central locking kit. The aircon uses 505 parts in the engine bay and aftermarket parts inside the car.

It is a lot of work and expense but the results are very good. Search for "peujohn's 504 blog" and you can read more about it.

Good luck 😉

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hi Peujohn. this is very assuring. did you manage to fit disc brakes at the rear? do you have detail information regarding all the aftermarket parts you sourced. details interms of exact parts, supplier and how you fitted them. I would also like to know what upgrades you performed on the 505 engine if any. does it have fuel injection. if so, how was it fitted such that it works with the peugeot. regarding a performance cold air intake and a performance exhaust system; do you have any suggestions.

your upgrades are quite commendable i am truly impressed. but lets say one wanted to fit a straight six instead of a v6. how would you go about it.

I have done all if the things you mentioned to my 504. It has a 505 2.2 litre engine + 5 speed gearbox, power steering and suspension upgrades including springs and sway bars. All of these upgrades used 505 parts.

It is a lot of work and expense but the results are very good. Search for "peujohn's 504 blog" and you can read more about it.

Like the man said, look at the story of the 505 into 504 here

Many of your questions should be covered there.

Me, I'd just enjoy the 504 as it is though. Why on earth attempt to put a straight 6 into it? (I think that was what was being floated?)

Ian.

504 transplant?/

Maybe you do not understand what you have in your hands.Your car 'may' be a little different to the 1.8 l 504's that were released in Aus. in 1969....eg. ours had rear discs.

Wheels Australia Magazine 1969.....Two gentlemen from Wheels were sitting at the Intersection of Sydney Rd,& Bell St.Coburg.
5 pm...winter.....radio on at a comfortable level.
They headed Albury /Wodonga...183 MILES....a goat track by todays standards...high volume of trucks heading up that same [Hume] Highway ,to Sydney.

THEY STUCK TO THE 'PRIMA FACIA' SPEEDS THROUGH TOWN--IE. THE SPEED LIMIT.OPEN SPEED LIMIT THE REST OF THE WAY.

WITH THE WIND & THE RAIN----WITHOUT TURNING UP THE RADIO VOLUME AS NOT NECESSARY----THEY PULLED UP IN WODONGA AS THE RADIO PIPPED 7 P.M.

It was ONLY 183 MILES in 2 HOURS......From my memory 22.5 m.p.g.TOP SPEED???? 108 mph.??

If anyone thinks that a G.T. Falcon OR a 327 Monaro would have bettered that they would be sadly mistaken.

I am not saying that you should not do a TRANSPLANT on your car-as far as I know it would be reasonably simple BUT you need to know what you actually have in your hands----one of the most amazing cars ever built.

For mine...find a nice 505 & appreciate both cars....hopefully your rego. costs would not prohibit this---maybe you are fortunate to have 'Club' Rego's as we have here.

If you are thinking of a straight 6 then I assure you that you will mess up a magnificent car as the weight distribution will be messed up---handling will go out the door PLUS a 6cyl will be far less efficient....a 504 had 51% at the front-49% rear.

Many people over the years have informed that 'cars are all the same'.I assure you that is a senseless statement by people who do not understand engineering.

Hope that helps you make a decision that is best for yourself.

P.S. From memory above info is accurate...if not it is certainly not 'over the fence'.Long time since I have re-read the article.
Maybe someone has access to same and could post it.I would call it a history making article.A 1.8 l family sedan top speed 108 mph?averaging 91.5 mph on a traffic ridden 'dodgy brothers' highway ...in the middle of winter at NIGHT.......GIVE ME A BREAK KIT KAT.

Last edited: