'Performance Chips' for 2.7 Hdi

Graydog

Fellow Frogger
Has anyone had experience with these?
I previously had a 2010 3.0Hdi Coupe (which got written off...very sad!) and I replaced it with an earlier 2.7Hdi Coupe. After getting into the 2.7, I was rather staggered by the difference in the performance of the 2 cars. The extra 300cc cant be the sole reason for the rather exhilarating performance difference compared to the 2.7, so it got me wondering about possible ways to give the 2.7 - which I think is probably an under-stressed engine anyway? - a bit more 'zing' and I've seen ads for chips.
I'm not looking for tyre-shredding performance, just wondering if these chips tweak a bit more of potential/untapped performance from the engine? Interested to hear any feedback...positive or (more importantly) negative. The 2.7 is no slouch, and if I'd not experienced the 3.0, I probably would bother.....
Additionally, are there other ways to achieve performance enhancement without this type of additional (and quite expensive) hardware?

3.0 HDi 407 in Australia? Anyways they have plenty of tuning options but the gearbox is the limiting factor here they really need to be built if you are serious about putting power thru them

2.7 is down 30Kw on the 3.0 - no doubt you notice the difference. I was also surprised to find that the 3.0 was available with up to 225 kW (306 PS; 302 hp), 700 N⋅m torques. Good times !

I've seen exhaust places doing 'sports' zorsts for the 2.7 in the Territory - maybe something like that for the 407 ?

Cheers

Justin

3.0 HDi 407 in Australia? Anyways they have plenty of tuning options but the gearbox is the limiting factor here they really need to be built if you are serious about putting power thru them
I didn't know about them either until I stumbled on this one at a Melbourne dealer; it was in pristine condition and I couldn't get my cheque book out quickly enough - and I wasn't even aware of the larger engine then. As it turned out the original owner lived not far from me and I contacted him - his details were in noted in the service logbook. He told me that (whoever was the importer/distributor of the day) had brought a small number into Oz as 'specials.' (mine was manuf 2009, but complianced 2010) Apart from the 3.0 Hdi, it sported dual exhausts, space saver spare, different external rear vision mirrors and some minor external trim changes. Internally, it didn't sport the larger sat-nav display. But, as mentioned previously, the engine was just something else compared to the 2.7...I'd love to capture some of that performance if I could. I take your point about the (auto?) gearbox, but surely it would be reasonable to think that PSA would have produced only the one box for the V6 diesels - engineered with some room for changes in engine characteristics? I'd be interested to explore some of the tuning options you mentioned...can you give me any more info or referrals?

2.7 is down 30Kw on the 3.0 - no doubt you notice the difference. I was also surprised to find that the 3.0 was available with up to 225 kW (306 PS; 302 hp), 700 N⋅m torques. Good times !

I've seen exhaust places doing 'sports' zorsts for the 2.7 in the Territory - maybe something like that for the 407 ?

Cheers

Justin
Hey Justin, definitely noticed the difference when I stepped into the 2.7! On the motorway in the 3.0, if need to pass someone, just put the foot down and I could really feel my back being pressed into the seat. Mostly didn't change down either, just used that plentiful torque to accelerate!
It broke my heart (and my hand, and fractured my sternum!) when an elderly driver pulled out of a side street to turn across my lane in his near new 350 Benz leaving me nowhere to go except towards his driver's door. Luckily for him, I was just out of a school zone, so at relatively low speed - but both cars were written off!

I didn't know about them either until I stumbled on this one at a Melbourne dealer; it was in pristine condition and I couldn't get my cheque book out quickly enough - and I wasn't even aware of the larger engine then. As it turned out the original owner lived not far from me and I contacted him - his details were in noted in the service logbook. He told me that (whoever was the importer/distributor of the day) had brought a small number into Oz as 'specials.' (mine was manuf 2009, but complianced 2010) Apart from the 3.0 Hdi, it sported dual exhausts, space saver spare, different external rear vision mirrors and some minor external trim changes. Internally, it didn't sport the larger sat-nav display. But, as mentioned previously, the engine was just something else compared to the 2.7...I'd love to capture some of that performance if I could. I take your point about the (auto?) gearbox, but surely it would be reasonable to think that PSA would have produced only the one box for the V6 diesels - engineered with some room for changes in engine characteristics? I'd be interested to explore some of the tuning options you mentioned...can you give me any more info or referrals?
Funny I would spend a lot of time down at sime Darby and never saw any of those sure it wasn’t a private import anyway the am6 box was at its limit with the 3.0 even with the modifications the am6 reinforced box could only handle about 480nm from memory. The name in the owners book isn’t joe Patane is it

Funny I would spend a lot of time down at sime Darby and never saw any of those sure it wasn’t a private import anyway the am6 box was at its limit with the 3.0 even with the modifications the am6 reinforced box could only handle about 480nm from memory. The name in the owners book isn’t joe Patane is it
No, I dont recall the previous owners name, but it wasn't Joe Patane. He sent me a copy of a letter from Sime Darby stating that it was imported by Peugeot Motors Aust as a 'Limited Edition' - something he needed for his insurance which he obtained via the dealership where he purchased it new. Another one (in white) came up for sale just weeks after I bought my 2008...boy, was I frustrated that I couldn't buy that one! Thats the only other one I've seen or heard about....

I saw the White 3.0L come up for sale just after I purchased my 2.7 in 2010. I too said "bugger".

It has always amazed me that the 3.0l with an extra 300cc (published figures) produced only 10Nm more torque than the 2.7l! Could it be that the gearbox (450Nm max.) really could not handle the extra torque of the 3.0l? It takes a lot of grunt to make a 1580kg car accelerate 0.6s quicker to 100kph. I thought it was only VW that told lies....

I saw the White 3.0L come up for sale just after I purchased my 2.7 in 2010. I too said "bugger".

It has always amazed me that the 3.0l with an extra 300cc (published figures) produced only 10Nm more torque than the 2.7l! Could it be that the gearbox (450Nm max.) really could not handle the extra torque of the 3.0l? It takes a lot of grunt to make a 1580kg car accelerate 0.6s quicker to 100kph. I thought it was only VW that told lies....
Hi BIGRR, I remember you from earlier days when I first joined up here as I think we had a few exchanges on this forum; I recall you had (have?) a Coupe, low mileage, which you had from new. Did you replace it in 2010 or did you get another? As far as the 'published' figures go, all I can say is that the 3.0L had a noticeable leap in performance when compared to my current 2.7L....not a tyre shredding difference, but certainly noticeable.

Hi BIGRR, I remember you from earlier days when I first joined up here as I think we had a few exchanges on this forum; I recall you had (have?) a Coupe, low mileage, which you had from new. Did you replace it in 2010 or did you get another? As far as the 'published' figures go, all I can say is that the 3.0L had a noticeable leap in performance when compared to my current 2.7L....not a tyre shredding difference, but certainly noticeable.
I think you turned up to a "Tyre Kicking" day. My coupe is a December 2007 build, however was purchased by me as new vehicle in March 2010. Is nearly worn out now. I had to put new tyres on not long ago. Clock shows 32,000km! :)

You've got one of those odometers too?

Last edited:
I think you turned up to a "Tyre Kicking" day. My coupe is a December 2007 build, however was purchased by me as new vehicle in March 2010. Is nearly worn out now. I had to put new tyres on not long ago. Clock shows 32,000km! :)
Yes indeed, that is true. I'd forgotten that I met you, but it was good to have a chat with you and the others that day. I still had the silver 2010 model then. I'm now retired and living at Central Coast and only go down to Sydney under sufferance :rolleyes: I was a bit puzzled by the reference to the 2010 purchase, because I was fairly sure your car was an earlier model....but now it makes sense! 32000km eh? Hmmm..must be just about ready to scrap!😂 I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as I do mine! Cheers

Sorry guys, performance and diesel cannot be words in the same sentence

Sorry guys, performance and diesel cannot be words in the same sentence
Wanna bet? You may have the jump getting away from the lights (if that's your thing :rolleyes:) and be first to arrive at the next set of lights, but on the motorway....lets just say - with all due respect - there are different iterations of 'performance'.......

Hi
I can tell you that performance and diesel are often in sentences I utter :)

218kW and 521Nm, that’s what each of our chipped 3.0HDi C5 X7 Citroens are producing.
Effortless performance and excellent economy, the best economy has been 4.7l/100km on a long journey.
Overtaking is so easy and often puts a smile on my face.

I have been using Bluespark Automotive Pro performance/economy modules for years now.
All vehicles I’ve put them on have run smoother with better gear changes, had better economy and noticeably more power with less turbo lag. The cost of the modules are very reasonable.

Past vehicles I’ve fitted with Bluespark Pro:
Peugeot 407 Sedan 2.7HDi, Citroen C5 Tourer 2.0HDi, Citroen C5 X7 Tourer 2.7HDi
Present vehicles with Bluespark Pro:
Citroen C5 X7 Sedan and Tourer 3.0HDi’s

My original reason for looking into performance chipping was the turbo lag on our 407 2.7HDi, leaving me stranded in an intersection with a car bearing down on my right...very scary. After considerable research I settled on the Bluespark Pro and it certainly sorted that out :)
It’s not about drag racing, just improving the driving experience.

I know some ‘purists’ may pooh pooh the idea and claims, but after years of experience with these particular modules.... I think I know what I’m talking about.
Cheers, Phil

https://bluesparkautomotive.com/peugeot-407-v6-hdi-2-8-204-ps-pro-boost

Do you want to tie your little petrol Reno to the back of my diesel and see which car's performance goes backwards? :oops:
Sorry guys, not interested in towing an overweight 1.7 tonne brick with my trim and terrific Reno :dance:

Hi
I can tell you that performance and diesel are often in sentences I utter :)

218kW and 521Nm, that’s what each of our chipped 3.0HDi C5 X7 Citroens are producing.
Effortless performance and excellent economy, the best economy has been 4.7l/100km on a long journey.
Overtaking is so easy and often puts a smile on my face.
My face is always smiling when you see the average hit 30l/100km
Then I know I have been enjoying what my car was built for
Pure Enjoyment
Sorry, OFTEN IS NEVER ENOUGH, for a junkie

My face is always smiling when you see the average hit 30l/100km
Then I know I have been enjoying what my car was built for
Pure Enjoyment
Sorry, OFTEN IS NEVER ENOUGH, for a junkie
So 'driven'.....why don't you take you smile and your narrow, braggart attitude and drive over to the Renault forum where you (seemingly?) belong. Enjoyment of driving (like performance) is different things to different people. If thrashing the guts out of your car to achieve 30L/100km is your kick, go for it; but it seems you've got us confused with people who actually give a sh!t.....:sneaky::sleep:
PS: I actually like Renaults....and I had a job some time back where I got to drive some Megane RSs. Nice cars, but not for me.