Performace Torsion Bars

PUG309

Fellow Frogger
I have done some research in the next step after lowering a Peugeot. It seems to me that quite a large handling improvment can be had with an upgrade of the rear torsion bar.

Instead of importing one does anyone know of a local manufaturer that could make one to spec or if the existing one (or two) can be heat treated or strengthened to increase the spring??? Anyone in OZ using an uprated rear torsion bar on their Pug???

Thanks

Last person I heard that looked into this was going to use a Peugeot Sport part. I'd be leaning towards getting something like this, myself.

Seems to be plenty available OS for the 206 1.6L cars due to the Super 1600 Cup, but torsion bars could be expensive to ship over.

yeah Daniel i run an uprated torsion bar in my 205
it can be sourced from Peugeot Sport in UK.
Hope this helps, cheers

Perhaps the stock bar can be used as a model to have a good shop make an uprated one, someone like Whiteline or Proflex?.... surely must be cheaper and easier than importing a UK unit.
Iv got no proof, but my car i supposed to have a Pug sport bar, but i can't really vouch for this. Either way perfromance isn't lacking.
Daniel, have you thought about trading up to a 206Gti or waiting for the 180 and then trading up... just a thought. As your base line car misses on so many other things.. - chris

<small>[ 27 September 2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: CHRI'S16 ]</small>

The 307 uses coil springs.
What benefit do you expect to get from the uprated torsion bars? I would have thought they would promote a poor ride and very twitchy handling.
Graham Wallis

Some years ago I had a set made by King Springs on the Gold Coast for my 205 GTI. I gave them the whole rear end so they could make sure that the splines were right. Cost somewhere around $380 for the pair.

Originally posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
<strong>The 307 uses coil springs.
What benefit do you expect to get from the uprated torsion bars? I would have thought they would promote a poor ride and very twitchy handling.
A message that doesn't seem to get through in this world full of 'experts' that suggest uprating springing as the first step on the road to performance...

The XT has 2 things the GTi goes not... rear doors, which are very handy. The torsion bar upgrade is planned not only to help cornering but stop the lowered rear end from bottoming out when there are people in the back or I could just take out the rear seats ...Chris :) I wouldnt mind getting a 180 but I wouldnt buy it new, the GTi seem to lose a fair bit of value as it is