Parts Washers

1972Ren

The Comeback Kid
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
No doubt a number of members have a parts washer which recirculates the cleaning fluid?
Just wondering what people use as a cleaning agent, how much of it is in the tank, etc.

Thanks
Ando

I've had a parts washer for years.... honestly, I hardly ever use it. it stinks so I've thrown it outside into a garden shed. I have a solvent based degreaser in it that works quite well. Nothing beats export degreaser from supercheap and a pressure washer though!

Yep, second that.

I guess truck wash might work as well in a degreaser. I have used it outside with a pressure washer and it works well.

Kerosene, diesel, all work very well but it all depends on how smelly you like it.

That said, I would like a parts washer because of the contained mess. A pressure washer is the best but it creates a huge mess everywhere. I take it out on the lawn, put my parts on an MDF plank and go to town. The lawn ain't pretty no more after that. Truck wash however says it's biodegradable and safe to use on lawns so there. I haven't found any adverse effect on the lawn.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the solvent based cleaners will probably be kerosine .... or kersoine based. Why not just buy a drum of kerosine ? You will need at least 20litres to reach the intake screen of your pump I'd imagine (it depends on the size of your tank!).

Oh, i still have the drum that I bought years and years and years ... probably decades ago. I use it to mix coolant in. This is the stuff I've been using. Seems to work quite well.

https://www.amanstoyshop.com.au/productdetail.aspx?id=51822

Diesel is considerably less expensive than kerosene. Kero, diesel & heating oil are all similar & interchangeable especially for something like this.
In the US I recollect Diesel 1 winter grade is coloured kerosene.

Export or Kenco degreaser, depending on what I'm doing, along with hot water in the shed. No parts washer. Adding a stainless tub, along with a 10L hot water system was the best thing I ever did.

Last edited:
I wonder if a household grade steam cleaner would work. I guess steam blasting is operating on the same principle only with an industrial size cleaner (and maybe some abrasive media).

Thanks for the input.
I would prefer to use something non flammable, so the links above are helpful.

I used a small kmart steam cleaner on a couple of gearboxes externally, came up very well and minimal physical effort requited. No reason it would not clean anything else.