parking sensors faulty

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys,

the poogoe here displays an error message when I turn on the parking sensors. Is there a common problem I should check before I start spending ages going through menus on the lexia trying to figure out error codes ?

seeya,
Shane L.

I don't know how to tell. I guess I'll hook it upto the lexia and see :) It just disables them and shows a warning on the dash. I found out the rear sensors must work this morning as they started beeping when the kids got there bags out the boot. Bizarre ... I would have thought you woudl need to be in reverse for the rear sensors to beep!

Another nice wet day, so I figured I'd finally have a quick look at this. I'm so please I ended up buying another lexia system. The relief to just plug it in and have it work. So we have and interior front right sensor fault.

parking_sensor.jpg

and look at that, this is evidence of an impact against that sensor. Before I start pulling this to bits, does anyone know of a way to get to the sensor? it looks like it between a huge alloy crossmember and the bumper itself. before I remove the entire bumper I might try from underneath. This car sits so low it sucks to get under almost as much as a hydraulic Citroen!

I may have a new sensor for that car will check
That would be amazing. I've been googling and it looks like the bumper will need to come off. I'll buy the replacement sensor before I pull the bumper off. Though it does look quite simple. all the bolts and screws look to be staring you in the face :)

You know we would be completelly lost without the internet. I'd never have found the diagnostic plug. The first place I checked was the glovebox, center console, behind the ashtray ..... nothing else seemed readily accessable without dismantling the car. Who would have thought of pulling the ashtray out, then lifting out a plastic covering tray from beneath it :clown:

Try and find the port in a C4 B7 model. I suppose designers think owners shouldn't know about this.

(You remove a front fascia panel, if you can find the tiny slots - see the hint of green back there)
c4 diagnostic.png

Try and find the port in a C4 B7 model. I suppose designers think owners shouldn't know about this.

(You remove a front fascia panel, if you can find the tiny slots - see the hint of green back there)
View attachment 212831
yeah, I never would have found that one! (well maybe eventually, but how many bits would the car be in before I finally stumbled across it)

406 ODB connection point is behind a special blank panel on lower RHS side of steering wheel.

Early (T5) 307s - pull off cover plates/trim on lower RHS side of steering wheel - they have special plastic screws so are designed to come off easily.

Later (T6) 307 has the same (or very similar) system to what you've described for the RCZ - so probably carried over to the 308.

Yeah, I'll need to pull the bumper off to verify the sensor so I can order one. I might do that this weekend. Who know, the wiring might just be displaced or crushed behind it too.

Well I sent the guy selling RCZ parts on facebook market place a message, and he sent me a couple of sensors. I figured this car has had a front end crash at some point as the headlights are so nice and clear. So wasn't suprised when I found plastic clips with screws in them (rather than the plastic tang). Gee's they were bloody hard to get out. Anyway.....

20221229_193254.jpg

no evidence at all of crash repair or damage so that is good.

20221229_193206.jpg

however the sensor was smashed and had been "sort of" glued back in with that white stuff everywhere. You know it probably did work for a while, but it was broken so moisture would have gotten into it. I'll need to try and remove all the gunk and see if the replacement sensor will lock into place. So not accident damaged, just whoever remove the bumper to mess with this sensor, lost the heads out of the clips. I wonder if I can buy them .... I'll check.

20221229_193348.jpg

anyway, the sensors I was sent are silver. So I just dusted one with satin black. I did plug it in and the bumpers wiring connection onto the car, and the car has stopped popping up parking sensor error (though they didn't seem to make any noise). I'll re-assemble tomorrow when the paint is dry and see if they work after I've cleared the faults..... It would be nice if they worked this easily :dance:

so how long does it take to change a simple sensor ?? 3 days ..... yep, 3 days :clown:
so first you whip the bumper off .... before realising you need to paint the replacement sensor .... So dust some satin black onto the new sensor and leave it a night to dry.

Then realise the new sensor doesn't clip in ...
then you realise you have to glue to sensor in (another day to dry)
then you throw the bumper back on (3rd day)

20221231_121008.jpg

just shitty .... really crappy. but I had an open tube of white polyurethane sealant/glue here. so I smeared a bit of that on.

20221231_121029.jpg

20221231_121022.jpg

See the clip that retains them... I'm guessing it snaps/breaks off whne a sensor is changed. I'm betting this car is now on its 4th replacement front sensor (taht is why there is broken clips and rivets on the front bumper).

20221231_121014.jpg

I'm guessing this one is untouched. the attachment plate is not only still there, it isn't glued on with white glue.

20221231_121042.jpg

Look at that huuuggeee sensor strip. I wonder if the air bags deploy if that gets damaged.... or maybe the doorlocks just pop?

20221231_131950.jpg

just brilliant. This car badly needs parking sensor as the ends taper away and you have no idea where they are when parking.