P206 Won't Start

Eccles

Tadpole
My wife's P206XT normally starts and runs ok, but if run for an extended trip, say greater than 50klms, the starter won't turn over and re-start until the engine is cold again. The stater solenoid sounds as though it is getting 12 Volt power, but just clicks and no engine turn-over. The ignition switch does exhibit wear, sometimes having to jiggle the key to start the car even when cold.
The engine is a 1.6 litre VIN code VF32ANFUA44679010.

Any help would be appreciated

Attempting to fix it yourself or eventually taking it to the mechanic ?
How much are you preparing to spend to make it relaible ?
Considered Battery or Alternator costs ?
and maybe Invest in a charger $35-80 for use on all your vehicles ?
I have 2 x 206s, they run reliably when the batteries are in a good state plus everything else. :)

have you tried tapping the starter whilst someone is turning the key ,this sometimes works if the brushes are worn ,at least it may prove were the problem is, you may have to use a socket extension to get down there ,pugs

I have a battery charger and a multimeter. Also the battery works ok under load test as done by an RAA mechanic. He also suggested starter motor problems, but it works very well when cold, just not when hot. Will try the suggestion to tap the starter if I can reach it; I have tried this on other cars with success. The car needs a camshaft belt change so I will get the mechanic to look at the starter also. Thanks

Load tests on batteries will pretty much kill an old battery.
If you didn't need one before you will now.
If over 4 yo with short trips it will need replacing anyway
Techs now use Battery tester
When doing cam belt need to do everything else as well water pump, pulleys as well as aux belts

the only other thing i would try is to hot wire the solenoid directly to the battery when it is hot ,disconnecting the existing wire and making absolutely sure that the car is in neutral or park with the hand brake on ,if it works with the jumper wire, it isn't the starter ,access may be difficult ,Pugs

My wife's P206XT normally starts and runs ok, but if run for an extended trip, say greater than 50klms, the starter won't turn over and re-start until the engine is cold again. The stater solenoid sounds as though it is getting 12 Volt power, but just clicks and no engine turn-over. The ignition switch does exhibit wear, sometimes having to jiggle the key to start the car even when cold.
The engine is a 1.6 litre VIN code VF32ANFUA44679010.

Any help would be appreciated
Quickie Fix:
I have a 306 that does the same thing, I have a 30cm length of 12mm hollow pipe (from an Ikea lamp) that I keep under the bonnet. When hot and starter fails to engage I place pipe between the intake runners and tap a few times on the stater moter solenoid being careful to not go near the live terminals.

Proper Fix:
Fit a new starter motor.

DIY Fix:
There are a few possible causes of 'clicks and no engine turnover',
The solenoid shaft is binding when hot stopping it from reaching the terminal block
Build of corrosion on the terminal block inside the solenoid body which stops the 12v getting to the starter motor itself.
If it's a 'clunk' instead of a click then the solenoid has engaged and pushed the pinion forward onto the flywheel ring gear but the brushes have failed to make contact to spin the starter.

Thanks for the advice. The fault is now occurring even after a short 5klm trip so getting worse. I have booked car in late December for repair.
Will let you know the outcome.