P205 Si. Can I put ventilated GTi disks/calipers on my Si hubs?

run205

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
gday, my '91 Si has standard suspension/subframe/hub setup.
Is it possible get ventilated GTi front rotors and bolt them to my existing hubs? I mean without changing the whole front end to a GTI setup ?
Will I need to get a set of GTI calipers to go with the rotors?
I like the simple Si suspension setup and wasn't looking to change the whole front end to a GTI, but it'd be nice to have stronger brakes.
I've heard I can, but I've also heard that I cant

cheers

I have 306 discs and calipers on my GTI with Si hubs (my GTI is a very early one with hubs that did not allow for this upgrade). With the Si it's pretty straightforward. The 306 model I got the brakes off is just a run of the mill model, nothing fancy.

The Gti subframe has some advantages though if you want to upgrade. Some of these might actually be absolutely necessary if you upgrade the brakes. Peugeot engineers know what they're doing and if they didn't put much stronger brakes on the Si it is most likely for a reason. I am mainly thinking about the strength of the bodyshell and underframe. That force you apply when braking has to be compensated for somewhere. You don't want to find you're flexing the body (which flexes anyway as it is) or the underframe or put undue stress on who knows what (I can immediately think of the control arm/sway bar bushings in the Si).

Yes, but they need to be late model 205 GTi, ie those with DKZ engine. Or any 206, 306 etc. Cheapest and easiest is 266mm, as the same disc is fitted to many PSA models.

great thanks !
so I could get ventilated disks off a 206 or 306 or late model 205GTI
PeterT I am pleased to hear that I can get something worthwhile off a 206. I'd much rather grab some useful parts off one of those instead of pilfering from a dwindling stock of 205GTi parts. I'll keep the 266mm measurement in my head when treking thru wrecker yards.
schlitzaugen I did wonder about increasing the forces on the suspension etc that you mention..
I thought I'd be ok cause the increase in braking force would not be too dramatic, just a little firmer
But now I know, I'll go back and do the simple things first and change the brake fluid and bleed the system, then see how it feels and if I still want to change things
thanks again

You can use 247 ml discs from a 1.8 8 valve 306 or a base model 206. Bolt straight on but there may be an issue with re fitting the 13 inch wheels? The brakes make a huge difference, not to do with them being vented, more that the master cylinder/caliper piston ratio seems wrong on the original Si brakes.

What wheels are you running? I have an si and tried to run some 266mm brakes but they rubbed on my 14" pepperpots. I think there are some pepperpot and 266mm brakes combo's (depends on who made the calipers and wheels) that can work. I ended up getting some vented 247mm brakes from a 206 and they fit under the pepperpots. They also fit under the stock 13" alloys with a 3mm spacer. I got some Hel braided lines and qfm a1rm pads to finish it off and the brakes feel good after that.

Ah, there are two types of Pepperpots. 266mm rubs on one and not the other. Speedline and SMR? From memory the Speedline variety is finished better on the inside, with fully radiused holes. The SMR variety has unfinished, square edges on the holes.

Last edited:
Thanks apitiser, that's good to know. I tried replying before but it hasn't posted for some reason...
Mine are not either of the pepperpots. I got a set of 14" rims but I don't know what to call them. They came on the 405's and the 205 Gentry/STDT models in the UK. They have a centre section which finishes off the 'look' but often just gets lost.
Once I start scoping the wreckers I'll probly just go for the 247mm rotors/calipers to be safe.

You're talking about these wheels like I've got on my 405 right now, aren't you?
ugly wheel.jpg

I've also got a set of these much nicer looking 15" "Laser" wheels which I've heard fit the 205 nicely, but I think the offset is too small for the 405 because they make the scrub radius larger so the steering wheel gets a mind of its own. I think I'll be going for aftermarket wheels soon, when I find some I like.
nice wheel.jpg