P1339 error code?

gpktm

Tadpole
Any ideas what this code is? The car overheated and "STOP" indication came up but unfortunately I was in a spot where I couldn't stop, the was car making knocking sounds as I was slowing down and when I parked it stalled. Now when I turn the engine on it runs rough on idle. I placed the OBD2 reader and comes with the P1339 error.

The car is a 2006 Peugeot 206cc petrol engine 1.6L (TU5JP4)

Not sure about the TU5 engine, but on later Pug engines P1339 relates to a missfire on cylinder three, so possibly plug or coilpack related, as suggested (note: cylinder one is the gearbox end).

No comment on the knocking noises, other than to suggest that head gaskets can be a common theme on TU5 engines.

Now when I turn the engine on it runs rough on idle. I placed the OBD2 reader and comes with the P1339 error.

The car is a 2006 Peugeot 206cc petrol engine 1.6L (TU5JP4)

My daughters 307 1.6l had issues with running rough and low power. Turned out to be spark plugs (although the bad exhaust might have contributed).

I swapped the plugs and coil pack at same time and still have the coil pack I removed, which I believe to be fine. You would be welcome to borrow it for troubleshooting if you want (I am in Melbourne SE suburbs).

If you haven't changed the plugs for a while, I'd recommend that as a first step - hers were completely stuffed.

Hi guys

Sorry for the late reply, I was waiting the part to arrive. I have replaced the ignition coil pack and I am getting the same knocking sound, rough idle and smell of petrol. Should I expect something like a blown head gasket or warped engine block?

Already tried:
- Replaced spark plugs
- Replaced ignition coil pack

Last edited:
If you are certain that the car overheated when the STOP light came on, surely you should be very carefully checking out the cooling system? A failed thermostat could cause overheating, potentially with no external signs, which could certainly lead to damage. Unfortunately I don't believe there is a code for thermostat failure...

The P1339 code may have come from a real problem, but could still be unrelated to the overheating/STOP issue. Did you do a compression test while the plugs were out? Any sign of oil in the coolant/coolant in the oil? Any bubbles in the expansion tank?

If the smell of fuel is from the end of the exhaust, then it must be due to unburnt fuel. This could be due to ignition/spark failure, but isn't another possibility that unburnt fuel is getting past one or more exhaust valves because the valve(s) is/are not sealing, due to burnt valves or bent valve stem(s). Could timing belt have slipped?

If the smell of fuel is from the engine bay, could there be a fuel leak?

Cheers

Alec