P0087: Fuel Rail/System Pressure- Too Low

Bathey

Tadpole
Good morning,
Does anyone know what the most common cause of this issue is on a 2013 Peugeot 508 1.6 THP. There doesn't appear to be any obvious fuel leaks visually or can I smell any. It is mostly on a cold start. I clear the trouble code after warming up then it drives normally but can be a bit touchy.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I'm no expert but sounds like a fuel pump on its way out or could be the fuel pressure regulator.

Probably the best form of diagnosis is to get the fuel pressure tested and see if it is in spec.

Most common fault is the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) on the engine, or the lift pump in the tank.

If it's only on a cold start, it could simply mean your battery is failing.

Thanks for your replies. Not the battery as it is a few months old and I have also had it tested for CCA and load. Replaced the HP fuel pump but still has the low fuel rail pressure. Is there an inline filter on this vehicle as I have done 160,000kms. If so where is it?

Thanks again.

I've never looked for the inline filter in a large car with that engine, so here's a guess that may help: in the small cars it's just in front of the fuel tank on the driver's side.

Thanks for your replies. Not the battery as it is a few months old and I have also had it tested for CCA and load. Replaced the HP fuel pump but still has the low fuel rail pressure. Is there an inline filter on this vehicle as I have done 160,000kms. If so where is it?
An excellent question. I've never looked under a 508 either. Being an Australian-delivered petrol car, it's more than likely got a fuel filter. European market-delivered cars tend not to have them, so there will be precious little piccies online.

On the 207 and 208 it's on the left, behind the tank. On the DS3 it's on the right between the tank and the wheel.

Here's a pic of the 508, but it doesn't really help that much. :)

508petrolfilter.jpg

Hi,
perhaps the the problem is the pressure sensor, and not the actual fuel pressure?
Just chucking the idea out there - maybe I am reading it wrong, but it sounds like the car runs ok but is throwing the error message?

Thanks
Andy

Thanks for your responses- I have removed the under body covers to look for the filter as shown in the posted pic by SLC 206 but no filter to be seen. I am sure there is one. As the car is up around the 160k I have also replaced both o2 sensors and spark plugs. The problem is still there. Misfires badly so it has been out of action for a couple of months now. I dread taking it to both local dealers as I have been burnt badly by them while the car was under warranty. Prefer to do my own work... Just takes a little longer and then I can share my finding with you all.

Hi Bathey your post is old, did you and how did you resolved your problem?
I have Dec 2012 Peugeot 508 1.6 THP and about a mont ago I had exactly the same happened to me, one day on startup it lost some power on take off then P0087 came on.
I tried to resurrect Lexia3 I used to use when I had Citroen C5 , but it wouldn't talk to newer software version I had to download n to have my model listed Lexia3 it only connected once over several attempts and few version updates Lexia3 seems to click but no communication error, except only once when it connected i believe that dongle is version B . I used it extensively when it connected but i find out that it seems to be not much I can do with it any more in compering to when I used it on Citroen .
It look like perhaps Peugeot turned off some function for off line use with Diagbox . I went and bought handheld scanner to clear errors.
I took it to mechanic already knowing that it was low pressure reading on the fuel rail.
They replaced fuel filter under a car , apparently fuel was dirty on both side of the filter and took it for test drive, mechanic scored a speeding fine during that test , gave me car back telling me it fly.
By the time I got home under the load going up the hill P0087 came on again. also after turning ignition on radiator fan was running on maximum speed for long time maybe 3 minutes or longer. this also happened few times straight after cold start .
Next day I went back they checked fuel filter it was clean, tested car again and after al lup $620 and they gave me a quote $5,000 - $6,000 to fix.
I was told, since it was coming with a misfires errors as well could be dirty injectors from the dirty fuel and need to be replaced then dirty fuel could also do damage to the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) as well so they want to replace HPFP fuel pump first to avoid damaging injectors. They also mentioned that low pressure feed pump could be faulty from dirty fuel, no one mentioned fuel rail sensor.
I needed time to cool down. so I left.
I bought HPFP from eBay and replaced existing one myself, relatively easy job, after you figure out that you have to relive high fuel pressure first then how to unclip feed fuel line and vacuum feed to break boost pump line (it took about 30 - 40 minutes) only to find out that now I am getting P0087 and misfiring every time I start My car not only on cold start scan tool was reading 680 - 730 kpa and about 580 kpa after turning ignition off, I believe that i was sent doggy HPFP so I replaced it with original. original was giving me 600 -700 kpa after P0087 and oscillating between 4000 - 12000 kpa if no error was recorded for the trip
I also took off fuel feed connector on original HPFP to inspect build in macro filter it was crystal clean
I took car back to the mechanic asking them to pressure test feed from petrol tank pump as HPFP need min 5 Bar to operate properly and this newer was done .
They couldn't do it , also no one around me can not do as they do not have tester or right connector
I booked it in Maroochydore 40 minutes drive from me to be done in two weeks
I am in Noosa perhaps someone know some place closer to me
Thanks
I need to test it to eliminate low fed pump out before i buy new HPFP, this time i will pay double and get one with 3 years of warranty but it might be failing fuel rail sensor instead
ANY HELP on this one please ???

P0087 is fuel rail pressure measurement too low, below setpoint. It could be a dud sensor. Access to the sensor is difficult as it lies under the manifold plastic and is hidden from behind. It is fitted to the rail centre.

Most mechanics should be able to put a pressure gauge into the low pressure feed.

thank you Seasink for this information
I am aware that it could be a sensor
What bothers my mind is that sensor reporting high pressure on HPFP when car will start normally and low pressure when the engine light come on at the startup the same is true when car will have full power while driving (high pressure on HPFP) and then when going up hill under load the engine light come on and then I can read low pressure on the scan tool.

When it come to mechanics around me in Noosa QLD they either do not have right coupling to connect to 8mm fuel line or fuel filter or they just wouldn't be bother as I am only asking to test feed line pressure for me
There is were I need to go first to eliminate this obvious step.
Pressure before HPFP need to be min 5Bar for HPFP to produce High pressure and I read that it can go as high as 11Bar which will blow any hose off which is just clamped on

thank you Seasink for this information
I am aware that it could be a sensor
What bothers my mind is that sensor reporting high pressure on HPFP when car will start normally and low pressure when the engine light come on at the startup the same is true when car will have full power while driving (high pressure on HPFP) and then when going up hill under load the engine light come on and then I can read low pressure on the scan tool.

When it come to mechanics around me in Noosa QLD they either do not have right coupling to connect to 8mm fuel line or fuel filter or they just wouldn't be bother as I am only asking to test feed line pressure for me
There is were I need to go first to eliminate this obvious step.
Pressure before HPFP need to be min 5Bar for HPFP to produce High pressure and I read that it can go as high as 11Bar which will blow any hose off which is just clamped on

Check with Continental cars in Caloundra.
Owner/operator is PSA skilled.

Funny the fuel check valve is exactly the same as 90 % of new cars you can use a scan tool to check the low pressure supply I have never needed to replace a fuel pressure sensor on a ep6 motor but done a heap of hp pumps and burnt connectors at the lift pump but what would I know only been working on these buckets since they came out.

Owner/operator is PSA skilled.
thanks I've booked with Andrew's High Tech Automotive but will give them a call

Funny the fuel check valve is exactly the same as 90 % of new cars you can use a scan tool to check the low pressure supply I have never needed to replace a fuel pressure sensor on a ep6 motor but done a heap of hp pumps and burnt connectors at the lift pump but what would I know only been working on these buckets since they came out.

Thank you for your comment,
My gut feeling tells me that it is HP pump since I replaced it with pump from ebay most likely doggy, engine error light was coming up every time I stated my car and couldn't really travel anywhere too fare with rail low pressure reading on the scan tool and in two days before I replaced it back with original pumpI have never seen any higher reading

I am really under the pump with timing, because I need to go in and out of Hospital frequently. I am happy to order another HPFP listening to what you say and replace it again, but i will not be happy if feed pump is a problem here, as it will take even more time to sort it out.
I will check feed pump myself, I am running fuel tank low and want to dig it out to inspect is there a screen filter somewhere?
How can I check if it is working properly without pressure test?

What I am doing when on cold start engine light comes on with P0087 i turn it off and immediately then restart it with Aircon off , revving it a bit and keep restarting till light will not come on . this never happened to me when eBay Chinese pump was installed.
Then i will use a car which most of the time will not throw en error for the trip sometime for 40km untill when going up the hill on high gear slow revs with aircon on, another words under the load

If you have a super cheap auto close they could check the fuel pressure ignition on engine off with the Bosch scan tool they use then while they are checking it wiggle the connector at the pump in to tank under the seat or unplug it at home and check for burnt pins. Super cheap charge 20 -30 dollars for a code read so another 5 minutes shouldn’t cost heaps.

Last edited: