Owner vs keeper in the UK

chodaboy

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

I am considering buying a car from the UK. I need to clarify legal ownership of a car in the UK as it seems there is a distinction between the owner and the keeper.

As far as I can tell, the owner is whomever pays tax to register it, and/or named in a receipt from the previous owner, while the V5 only lists the keeper.

How is ownership established in the eyes of the DVLA if the car is not currently taxed? Previous taxation or proof of last sale?

Need to be sure this is right for both leaving the UK and proof of sale to register here - by all accounts I need a bill of sale or receipt AND the V5.

Cheers

As far as I can remember the ‘keeper’ is the owner. Just an old English term. Could be wrong. Uk members will know

Hi I hope this helps,
Anybody can be the registered keeper It does not mean that you own the vehicle I will give an example.
People are registering their vehicle to Sadiq Khan the London mayor as the registered keeper so when they get the ULEZ charge for not paying the £12.50 per day he will then receive the fine.
It is not Proof of ownership.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 74
As Signaler says, keeper does not equal owner (although in most cases they are the same) and there is no document (a 'title') to establish ownership (unless the seller has a receipt from when they bought it, but they're easily faked). In the UK it is the keeper that pays the tax, which is all the DVLA cares about. Just get a receipt from the seller when you buy it and and the new owner/permanent export bit of the V5. Nobody asks for proof of ownership when buying a car in the UK, just do an HPI check that there's no outstanding finance on the car.

As Signaler says, keeper does not equal owner (although in most cases they are the same) and there is no document (a 'title') to establish ownership (unless the seller has a receipt from when they bought it, but they're easily faked). In the UK it is the keeper that pays the tax, which is all the DVLA cares about. Just get a receipt from the seller when you buy it and and the new owner/permanent export bit of the V5. Nobody asks for proof of ownership when buying a car in the UK, just do an HPI check that there's no outstanding finance on the car.
I would obtain unequivocal proof that he/she is the owner.
A receipt is only evidence that you paid your money but has he got the right to sell something that may not be is.
John

Except there is no unequivocal proof that can be provided. I've got a receipt for the both my cars, but they're just bits of hand written paper. If you're lucky there might be an original bill of sale, but that's only relevant if you're buying from the first owner. That's why an HPI check is important, it shows if there's outstanding finance, the car's been reported stolen, written off, or flagged as permanently exported etc.